Greenhouse In a hot environment

SasquatchTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Forth Worth, Texas
Hello. I haven' been on tortoise forum in a couple of months. I have been quite busy.

Anyways, we live in Texas and we built a greenhouse recently. It has only a few plants in it. Fortunatley for this year so far, it has stayed cooler, but it won't last long. We will get months in a row of 90- 100 degree weather. What is the best way to cool and humidify a greenhouse in this climate, enough to keep tropical plants ( and our tortoise during the winter). any suggestions would help. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You will need to be able to open it when it gets too hot for plants and tort in the summer. Possibly even have to add exhaust fan.
For winter you will need to add a heater for those times it gets too cold and for night. I would add a insulated heated hide also for winter.
For humidity, the ground with water should add enough humidity. Also if there is enough plants they will help.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Lots of info out there how to cool & ventilate greenhouses. Lots of solar options as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have an opening at both ends with a fan at one end blowing towards the other end.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If you don't already have shade cloth, adding that can help keep it from getting too hot in the first place. Or at least reduce the amount of excess heat you have to remove

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
If you don't already have shade cloth, adding that can help keep it from getting too hot in the first place. Or at least reduce the amount of excess heat you have to remove
We even use that up here in Ontario.

Another old-school option is to use whitewash on the outside.

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
Thanks for all the replies. Along with ventilation, we are going to use a small AC unit. I hope it helps, because it has gotten 110 in there with the doors closed, and on that day it was 60 degrees outside. It gets natural shade from a tree, except in late evening or early morning.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thanks for all the replies. Along with ventilation, we are going to use a small AC unit. I hope it helps, because it has gotten 110 in there with the doors closed, and on that day it was 60 degrees outside. It gets natural shade from a tree, except in late evening or early morning.

How large is your greenhouse? As noted above - a quick mixture of whitewash will make the windows temporarily opaque & reduce a lot of the sun’s rays.

A few vents as well Or a tarp over half of it...