green vine snake lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iridedumped

5 Year Member
i've searched and searched, but it's still unclear to me.... i was wondering what kind of lighting does a green vine snake need? uva only, uva and uvb, uvb only, or is any light fine?

if anyone knows, thanks in advance.

Oogie

5 Year Member
ooo...i hope to get one of these in the future! they are really cool!

since the fangs are in the back of the mouth, they don't always get you with the venom. i got bit by a friend's and it was nothing more than like a wasp sting.

this care sheet says to use UVB http://www.herphavenreptilerescue.org/files/GreenVine.pdf
and just got off the phone with my friend and he said he uses UVB.

jorrow

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
I always thought it was their saliva that was toxic, I didnt think they had venom or fangs just teeth in the back to tear the skin up enough for their saliva to penitrate into your system....????

Oogie

5 Year Member
i've heard that too...but they use the fangs in the back to get it into the system. venom on the skin without penetrating it should not cause anything more than skin irritation at most. but i am no expert on these...just have minimal experience and HAVE been bitten...to compare the experiences, a dog bite is much worse IMO.

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
LOL I think being bitten makes you more of a expert than most :D

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
UVB is not necessary, snakes don't process D3 in the same manner as turts/torts and some lizards, they get what they need from their diet. Ive kept Asian Green Vines and have used both regular fluorescent lighting as well as incandescent.

Status
Not open for further replies.