Greek vs Russian Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
I found a TON of information on taking care of Russian Tortoises, but not nearly as much on Gree (Iberas) for some odd reason. Is there much of a difference in their care? What are the differences?

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
I don't know if more info about horsfieldi- maybe references about, since the good info are quite different. The explanation is that horsfieldi was the most imported tortoise for a while, and even pet-shops had a word to say about their care- wich I would not call "information".

Most Ibera are hardier to cold/moisture combo, while no horsfield can tolerate that. They came from locations even colder than Ibera locations, but both species are adapted to long hibernation- even up to 6 months (usually 4-5). Therefore, you should provide some better protection for horsfieldi for the spring and autumn, when it's very easy to lose them to respiratory infections.
Of course, ibera is just hardier, it can take some moisture when cold, but after all it's a land tortoise and the new keeper should not try to find how hardy it is... it just can take some mistakes of you and not getting ill as quick, but the rule is to have that protection against excess moisture.
What is your location? Please add it to your profile. It accounts very much.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I am in mid~Missouri. I just wanted to make sure temps should be about the same and diets are about the same. Thank you!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I agree with Fabian but would also like to add that here in the U.S. most of the adult Greeks that are available in pet shops and from most online dealers are Middle Eastern subspecies, not Ibera. The difference is very important when it comes to keeping the animal outdoors in the northern U.S. Ibera, as Fabian stated are a very cold tolerate hibernating species from the northern Mediterranean and Eastern Europe. They are much more tolerant to a certain level of moisture even when it's cold. But this is not true of Middle Eastern Greeks. So it is important to know what area your Greek comes from before considering keeping it outdoors in the spring and fall in the northern U.S.

Russian tortoises, much like Middle Eastern Greeks, cannot withstand excessive dampness and especially dampness with cold temperatures. However Russians can withstand extremely cold conditions that are dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.