Greek tortoise (Testudo Graeca Ibera) enclose. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi I have a few concern about the enclosure I'm building for my greek tortoise.

1) I live in San Francisco and for some of you, you already know how crazy our weather is. Would it be ok for me to leave her in my back yard enclosure at night or would it harm her because it gets too damn cold?!

2) If not, what process can I make to try to make this happen?

3) For hibernations, is it cold enought for our winter to leave and have them hibernate all trough out winter outside?

I have a small place and I take her out on a daily basis. I hate having to see her stuck at her terrarium all night when I know she's pretty active (as told by my wife). Please help me out by giving me your input. If not I guest all I can really do is take her out during the day and bring her in at night. Thank you guys for taking the time in reading this. Hope to hear from everyone soon!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most torts will retreat for the night around 5-7. So why not just bring her in? If you want to keep her out all night, what are you calling cold where you are and how warm is warm during the day?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Just to get a measure on "Cold". I am unhappy if it's likely to be below 8C at night for my Greek ... that's 47F! Now the temperature is 10-11C (50-52F) at night and, although Joe requires the assistance of a booster basking lamp (in a dog kennel outside) to get him going in the morning, he is still sleeping out.

I live in the UK with my Greek.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Nights we are looking at around high 40F. And really low 50F. Yeah I'll just bring her in. I mean even during the day we are lucky if we can even reach high 70F to 80F. Some days are hot and some days are gloomy =( mostly gloomy... And that's during the summer...like today for example we are actually at the low 70F to hight 60F.

Here is a better example of how our weather is.ImageUploadedByTortForum1370208985.000556.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here in the UK 70-80F is hot!

Joe does just fine on sunny days below that.. It's amazing how hot the sheltered direct sun spots get even on a cooler day. Get to 90f ambient and Joe is heading for the shade!

Even when the sun isn't out, his heat lamp starter leaves him good for a few hours without additional heat charge

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises have to be able to heat upto 85+ to digest their food properly. If you get a temp gun, you can shoot different ground level areas of the outside enclosure to make sure she can warm herself up. Also, placing a flat rock in the sun for her to bask on will get hotter then the ground/grass. I wouldn't keep her out below 65 without some heat source.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Aww that just made me sad... I guest the I can only keep her my outdoor enclosure for couple of hours a day... Just to absorb the sun when it is out.. Ill still finish the enclosure...

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Even if its cold they will sit in the sun and raise there temps. Personally of he has hides and able to dig in I would keep him/her out all summer long. You can make a heated hide if your really worried. I would be worried more about your misty weather and having dry hides for her to retreat. Is it an adult ?

Idk how your outdoor set up is. How many hrs of sun would you say? When it comes out I know ca loves June gloom

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
ImageUploadedByTortForum1370216642.748576.jpg This is my older one. Pet smart said she was about 4 or 5 years old when when we got her last year. ImageUploadedByTortForum1370216706.880212.jpg this our new addition to our family. She's one. And maybe this one ImageUploadedByTortForum1370216747.637178.jpg got her today but she's supported to be or my friend. Don't know why she's orange but yeah. Can she be a hypo greek testudo Graeca?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1370216619.584734.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1370216619.584734.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.