Greek tortoise substrate and feed question

pikkutassu

Location (City and/or State)
Helsinki
Hi everyone!

My profile has more detailed info about my tortoise journey, but I'm currently seeking for opinions on my Greek tortoise hatchling care.

For his setup (monitored for a few weeks before his arrival, humidity 60 to 80, warmth varying from high 90s (basking) to low 75, night temp at 70 the lowest (I have a digital Komodo hydro- and thermometer, UVB bulb + basking bulb) I used a mix of desert clay (red, chunky and sticky when really wet, clumpy when dry, not like sand), coco chip and coconut soil. I since took the clay out because he was sneezing and I thought the clay might have suffocated him (is it possible??), but currently I think he is only allergic to the dry nettle I feed him occasionally sprinkled on top of some dandelion leaves. I'm considering of soaking the nettle and trying again and if he still gets puffy eyes and is sneezing the nettle is the culprit! I have only fed him dandelion and romaine (tiny piece of squash once a week, dried flower petals once a week) with Nutrobal and calcium daily for a few days now and his eyes have gotten a lot better and he is not sneezing anymore ♥.

Sorry, this is a really long post, but my main question is: Can I use a mixture of coco chip, soil and a bit of desert clay mixed in (he really loved to burrow into the clay, haha, slept in it all cozy). Also, should I feed him some carrot like twice a week and do I need the Nutrobal daily or only like every other day. That's all!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone!

My profile has more detailed info about my tortoise journey, but I'm currently seeking for opinions on my Greek tortoise hatchling care.

For his setup (monitored for a few weeks before his arrival, humidity 60 to 80, warmth varying from high 90s (basking) to low 75, night temp at 70 the lowest (I have a digital Komodo hydro- and thermometer, UVB bulb + basking bulb) I used a mix of desert clay (red, chunky and sticky when really wet, clumpy when dry, not like sand), coco chip and coconut soil. I since took the clay out because he was sneezing and I thought the clay might have suffocated him (is it possible??), but currently I think he is only allergic to the dry nettle I feed him occasionally sprinkled on top of some dandelion leaves. I'm considering of soaking the nettle and trying again and if he still gets puffy eyes and is sneezing the nettle is the culprit! I have only fed him dandelion and romaine (tiny piece of squash once a week, dried flower petals once a week) with Nutrobal and calcium daily for a few days now and his eyes have gotten a lot better and he is not sneezing anymore ♥.

Sorry, this is a really long post, but my main question is: Can I use a mixture of coco chip, soil and a bit of desert clay mixed in (he really loved to burrow into the clay, haha, slept in it all cozy). Also, should I feed him some carrot like twice a week and do I need the Nutrobal daily or only like every other day. That's all!
No on your substrate and no on the carrots. Read this:

pikkutassu

Helsinki
No on your substrate and no on the carrots. Read this:

Hi Tom!

Thank you, I have spent some time (weeks) reading the posts here without registering and also once read that care sheet of yours. So honored you replied to my post first! Read it again now! I purchased some orchid bark (forgot to mention it) and the correct term for the type of coconut I have is coir so I think I will use those two combined. I didn't feel the need to give him carrots, just wanted to ask would they be good, so thanks!

Reactions: Tom

pikkutassu

Helsinki
Welcome.....Seems like your all set, let us know how it goes

Thank you! Had to take him to a vet today, because he has swelling on his joints (already had some I hadn't noticed when I purchased him) that has gotten worse and worse. Tomorrow I will know more after the blood sample results come in.