greek tortoise question extravaganza

Status
Not open for further replies.

jengajumanji

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
img0010mx6.jpg

I've had my tortoise for about six months now, I got him from a friend who got it from someone who didn't want him anymore, I have a few questions and I thought this would be the place to ask.

How can I tell how old he is?

I only feed the tortoise lettuce with calcium powder on top, is that a healthy diet, can I feed him anything else? How often and how much is healthy for him to eat?

Do I have to cut his nails? They're starting to get pretty long and his arms got stuck in his shell once because of them, if so how do I do it? I am super freaked out about attempting this.

Sometimes when he is feeding he starts biting his own leg, why would he do that?

The following paragraph was written by my roomate and I think all of these questions are stupid: Can he recognize me? Like, he sees me every day, does he know me? You know. Why when we feed him by hand (it's fun and funny) does he seem to be gentler. Is he afraid to bite me? He doesn't bite me ever. Why not? Also, he climbs up the side of his wall all the time and it's annoying, I think he thinks he's getting out. Sometimes he'll even try so hard he flips backwards... he's very silly. Also, why does he attack my red gum ball machine? Also, why does he get scared when we put the ninja turtle action figure in front of him? He attacked him last time. Frightening. ..

thanks a lot

bill_haverchuck

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
It's definitely not a stupid question. I'm sure your tortoise recognizes your roommate.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
jengajumanji said:
How can I tell how old he is?
I only feed the tortoise lettuce with calcium powder on top, is that a healthy diet, can I feed him anything else? How often and how much is healthy for him to eat?
Do I have to cut his nails? I am super freaked out about attempting this.
Sometimes when he is feeding he starts biting his own leg, why would he do that?
I think all of these questions are stupid:
Can he recognize me? does he know me?
Why when we feed him by hand does he seem to be gentler. Is he afraid to bite me? He doesn't bite me ever. Why not?
Also, he climbs up the side of his wall all the time and it's annoying, I think he thinks he's getting out. Sometimes he'll even try so hard he flips backwards... he's very silly.
why does he attack my red gum ball machine?
Also, why does he get scared when we put the ninja turtle action figure in front of him? He attacked him last time. Frightening. ..
thanks a lot

Questions- Ok I don't feel any question is a stupid question. The old saying the only stupid question is the one not asked I feel is sooooo true.
I am not an expert but this is what I have found out by research and by my own torts.

Age- Unless you are there for the birth there is no real way to tell how old he is. Some people say you can count the rings on the shell (dips and rises) but if it is wild caught it could have been a year that was a drought, or really rainy- So all one can do is an educated guess.

Diet-Only lettuce with calcium powder on top is not a healthy diet.
Look in the Feed Section of this forum and you can got to this link
http://www.tlady.clara.net/TortGuide/Diet.htm#plantlist
Tortoises should have a variety of foods - greens and grasses You can also order foods online from Reptileeats.com and others.

Nails- What substrate do you have your tort on? If he is given the chance to cruise around alot on rock or other hard objects he will wear down his nails If you are planning on cutting them I would have a vet do it, especially if you are a little freaked by it.

Biting own leg- They start eating and what is in the path is usually bit.
As long as he is not braking the skin I wouldn't worry too much.

Know me -Yes I feel torts do get to know their owners and family members.
I don't feel he is afraid to bite you. He may just be a little unsure and it appears he is being more gentle.

Crawling up wall- What type of enclosure do you have him in? What size? If he can see out he will try and get out. If it is too small he will try and get out. Just because he may try and get out. Torts are wanderers and it is natural for them to crawl over things. Flipping on his back can be a bad thing if it is in the water or under the heat lamp but he should be able to right himself otherwise.

Red Gumball Machine- Torts are often attracted by color some of their favorite flowers are red. So that is probably why. I have a Desert Tort that if I paint my toenails Pink or red he tries to bite them, yet if they aren't painted he ignores them.

Action Figure- it is a threat to him. so he attacks, or retreats.

Oh yes and welcome to TFo

Status
Not open for further replies.