Greek tortoise not defecating for two weeks

ZenHerper

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
If you are unable to keep this animal warm enough for it's body systems to function, it should be returned to the shop where it was purchased.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
She's eating very well, so I'm constantly thinking about this "food rotting in her stomach" possibility. Could be happening right now since I don't see where all the food she's been eating is going... Is it safe to stop feeding her?

To be honest with you, I had a baby tortoise before this one... And she died recently because of a respiratory infection. That's why my aunt got me Zitouna without even asking, because she saw how sad I was.

Now I don't think I'm good enough for the responsibility of raising a tort. I don't have the means financially nor there are facilities where I live. We don't have reptile vets and even regular vets aren't taught about tortoises in vet school/ university (a family member who is a vet told me that). We don't have shops which sells proper things for torts like food or that calcium I see people talk about.

If anyone here can give me any thing I can do that I truly can, I will do my absolute bestest to make it a reality... I don't want this innocent baby to die.
The food will only rot in her stomach if she hibernates with it in there. If she is active and you can add some heat with a bulb then she should be OK.
I have a leopard tort who doesn't hibernate. Even though he has a nice warm hide with heating and uvb he still slows down in the winter - he eats less and is less active so he poops less often.
I think you need to find a container she can live in safely which is big enough for her to walk around with some soil from your yard (as long as it's chemical free). That will be easier for you to follow Toms advice and heat with the sort of bulb he suggested. Cardboard will get soggy and will be a fire hazard so a plastic box will be better.
Torts do need a lot more care than people think as you can see from that caresheet.
Was the shop your aunt bought him from a pet shop? I wonder how then shop owner was keeping the torts he sells.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you get a bulb - the box needs to big enough so that the bulb is one end of it to give a warm end, and a cool end so that the baby can escape from under the heat if it gets too hot and not cook. Use a thermometer to raise or lower the bulb to get the right temps given on the caresheet - too close the tort will burn and too high the tort won't get enough heat.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
The daily soaks will definitely help with the Poop situation, and also Hydration.
I would say, getting this lil Tort some warmth is vital to it's survival.
They need the warmth/heat to help in the digestion of the food they eat.

Cyncyn1

Seaveiw
Hey, so I have a Greek tortoise which someone gave me less than two weeks ago. She is small, like 1,5 inches but I don't know her age. She's been healthy, active, and eating well, she also looks good. But she didn't defecate ever since she came home. She did urinate but never defecate. I mainly feed her lettuce.

Should I worry? I have no access to a vet where I live. Should I feed her something else? Hoping to get advice as soon as possible.

Thank you.
Yes mine defecate everytime I soak them. My hermann's tortoises are older so I soak them everyother day for as long as it takes and they seem very happy with that. I soak my baby sulcata's every day, somtimes twice a day as I keep them warmer and do not want them to get to dry.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Can you get cuttle fish bone from a pet shop that sells things for birds ? It's the white stuff that people stick between bars of the cage for the birds to peck at. It is also good for tortoises, and if you grate some over the food, it will provide calcium. Just a very small amount at first
Angie

Algeirs
If you are unable to keep this animal warm enough for it's body systems to function, it should be returned to the shop where it was purchased.
It's been a while since they got it, I doubt I can give it back. And again, I'm from a non développé country. They sell torts for very cheap and they put them in tiny enclosures without heating, saw it with my eyes.

Algeirs
The food will only rot in her stomach if she hibernates with it in there. If she is active and you can add some heat with a bulb then she should be OK.
I have a leopard tort who doesn't hibernate. Even though he has a nice warm hide with heating and uvb he still slows down in the winter - he eats less and is less active so he poops less often.
I think you need to find a container she can live in safely which is big enough for her to walk around with some soil from your yard (as long as it's chemical free). That will be easier for you to follow Toms advice and heat with the sort of bulb he suggested. Cardboard will get soggy and will be a fire hazard so a plastic box will be better.
Torts do need a lot more care than people think as you can see from that caresheet.
Was the shop your aunt bought him from a pet shop? I wonder how then shop owner was keeping the torts he sells.
I didn't buy her myself, but the last time I bought a tort, they were keeping it in a tiny glass aquarium-like enclosure without soil, or light or anything. I really want everyone here to grasp I live in a really non developed area...

Algeirs
Yes mine defecate everytime I soak them. My hermann's tortoises are older so I soak them everyother day for as long as it takes and they seem very happy with that. I soak my baby sulcata's every day, somtimes twice a day as I keep them warmer and do not want them to get to dry.
May I ask how do you can you tell they're happy?

Algeirs
Can you get cuttle fish bone from a pet shop that sells things for birds ? It's the white stuff that people stick between bars of the cage for the birds to peck at. It is also good for tortoises, and if you grate some over the food, it will provide calcium. Just a very small amount at first
Angie
I don't know, I'll have to look for it... Thanks for the advice, Angie!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
May I ask how do you can you tell they're happy?
I think my tort is happy when he is eating well, warm, normally active and relaxed around me.
If he was suddenly restless and pacing around or hiding in his shell a lot I would be worried he was stressed.
Most tort problems are caused because of things that keepers do or don't for them.
If you give a tort a safe and secure home with everything he needs he is happy.
Their happiness and health is in our hands because we are responsible for them.

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello. I have an idea but I would want the more experienced members to weigh in on this one. One of the reasons why no one uses glass aquariums is because in a window they can overheat the animal. But if you have a thermometer to make sure it's safe and other things like substrate etc.you might be able to make that work A WHILE since your Tortoise is so small. There's a lot to doing that because it's best to make it where they can't see out (around a 4 inch tall piece of paper around the outside bottom) and you would really have to be able to monitor the temperature. It's just a thought. Best wishes hopes and prayers.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Hello. I have an idea but I would want the more experienced members to weigh in on this one. One of the reasons why no one uses glass aquariums is because in a window they can overheat the animal. But if you have a thermometer to make sure it's safe and other things like substrate etc.you might be able to make that work A WHILE since your Tortoise is so small. There's a lot to doing that because it's best to make it where they can't see out (around a 4 inch tall piece of paper around the outside bottom) and you would really have to be able to monitor the temperature. It's just a thought. Best wishes hopes and prayers.
I think one of the prob's with a glass aquarium, it they see through it and will continue to pace the perimeter, seeking the "other side". If the side is Opaque, or wood, they only know of, what they see.

Algeirs
I think my tort is happy when he is eating well, warm, normally active and relaxed around me.
If he was suddenly restless and pacing around or hiding in his shell a lot I would be worried he was stressed.
Most tort problems are caused because of things that keepers do or don't for them.
If you give a tort a safe and secure home with everything he needs he is happy.
Their happiness and health is in our hands because we are responsible for them.
Thanks, I'll be looking out for those signs. I soaked her today in lukewarm water and it seemed to me she likes it. She dropped her head under the water a few times and went around playing in the water. After, what, 15 minutes ? She started going to the sides of the "pool" I made for her and trying to climb out. Does that mean I have to take her out?

Algeirs
It seems a bit complicated for me to make reality unfortunately... But I'm really thankful you took the time to type this out and pray for me, Cathie!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks, I'll be looking out for those signs. I soaked her today in lukewarm water and it seemed to me she likes it. She dropped her head under the water a few times and went around playing in the water. After, what, 15 minutes ? She started going to the sides of the "pool" I made for her and trying to climb out. Does that mean I have to take her out?
You could leave her for a little while longer because the movements she is making while trying to get out could make her poop. Don't let the water get cold though ( we have to take some of the cold out and top up with warm).

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
You could leave her for a little while longer because the movements she is making while trying to get out could make her poop. Don't let the water get cold though ( we have to take some of the cold out and top up with warm).
Ah'hhh who doesn't like a good long WARM soak!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It seems a bit complicated for me to make reality unfortunately... But I'm really thankful you took the time to type this out and pray for me, Cathie!!
I will be ? . It's actually not more complicated than what you are doing now. A sunny window shining through the glass would make it warmer during the day if your house is cold. But I would still want more experienced members to say that might help with your temperatures.?

Algeirs
Thank you, really! Google was my only way to learn about tortoises and nowhere did I read about the importance of soaking so thanks for teaching me!