Greek tortoise eyes problem

Jawad

Location (City and/or State)
Makkah
I got this Greek tortoise 2 weeks ago. I noticed 5 days ago her both eyes were swollen. I tried to put a cotton with warm water on her both eyes and they opened a little but the next day I noticed her eyes are discharging some white thing. Now her right eye is covered with this white discharge and it looks like a deposit. Her left eye isn't covered but she can't open it very well.
I will post pictures of both eyes.A03ADCD2-D056-450A-A95B-65FF4EAAE5D1.jpegBD43AABD-9F1A-4071-A5DB-64124BC87227.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
What kind of UVB light are you using?
Does it screw into a socket? If it screws in, turn it off immediately and leave it off. If this is the case, we'll tell you what light you need, and how to treat your tortoise's eyes.

Also, what kind of basking light are you using? Is it a mercury vapor bulb? If it is, turn it off if you can keep the tortoise warm enough without it. If this is the case, we'll help you with that.

Jawad

Makkah
Does it screw into a socket? If it screws in, turn it off immediately and leave it off. If this is the case, we'll tell you what light you need, and how to treat your tortoise's eyes.

Also, what kind of basking light are you using? Is it a mercury vapor bulb? If it is, turn it off if you can keep the tortoise warm enough without it. If this is the case, we'll help you with that.
I haven't received my light yet. It should Arrive tomorrow or the day after. My English is not very good but yes I think it screws in, and it has both UVB and UVA in the same lamp. I will attach a photo of it.

Attachments

• 789BBE91-611C-4918-8620-C497E24E6F22.png
    789BBE91-611C-4918-8620-C497E24E6F22.png
    393.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 8824B6AD-710E-4BD0-A967-6B86BB539EA0.jpeg
    8824B6AD-710E-4BD0-A967-6B86BB539EA0.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 3

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Herpes or other virus infections can cause eye discharge. If you have not been using a coil type bulb for UVB (which can actually output more damaging UVC light), then this could be the issue. The downside is that you will need to get some testing done by an experienced tortoise vet to identify the problem. I do not know if you can find such an experienced vet in Saudi Arabia. A regular vet might just give a 'vitamin shot' which can do more harm than good due to an overload of vitamin A.

In the meantime, be sure to keep the temperature in this tortoise's enclosure at a minimum of 27 C, with a basking area of 35-37.7C. Use a regular incandescent bulb for basking. This will help boost the immune system. Soak the tortoise daily in warm water for an hour to help hydrate the eyes.

Jawad

Makkah
Actually I'm not using any light until now. I just got the tortoise 10 days ago.
I take her out in sun light almost every day for a hour or less because it's hot for her, the temperature get close to 45C .
I believe the place I bought it from don't provide good care for pets.
Anyway, I will try to find a good vet.
I didn't know that I can use a regular bulb for warming. I will search about it. Thanks a lot.