Greek Tort Substrate and New Name Vote

tort_luv_5055

Location (City and/or State)
New York (USA)
VOTE: Charlie is no longer a Hermann's tortoise, therefore he no longer should have a regular name. To celebrate our discovery, I am holding a vote for his new GREEK name, and the choices are:
~Chelone~ (greek for tortoise)
~Zeus~
~Apollo~
~Ares~
*please vote because I can't decide on my own!*

I also have a question about *currently Apollo's* substrate. As some of you know, he is living on green reptile carpet. This is doing absolutely nothing for him and is actually dangerous because he is danger of flipping on his back and not being able to right himself. So I am going substrate shopping on Friday (Yippee!) I don't know what I am going to buy though. If any one has suggestions (he is a hatchling Greek and needs humidity) I would gladly add them to my list. I have a 25$ gift card for Petco, so any substrate I can buy there would be good or anything cheap I get at Lowes or Value Home would be nice as well. I am also thinking of growing some grasses in there too, so anything that can grow plants. I am leaning towards the simple, inexspensive and easy topsoil with Cypress mulch mix. Any other mixes? Thanks!

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Re: RE: Greek Tort Substrate and New Name Vote

I've heard the others, so i vote for apollo! :) I'd save the Petco card for something else, maybe some zoomed grassland tortoise chow or some live plants they sometimes sell. at least 4" of organic top soil is the best way to go and cheapest (4$ at lowes) some people mix it with orchard bark or peat moss but that's your choice. i never recommend cypress mulch because it's expensive and is not a renewable resource but it is perfectly fine to use. i personally have top soil and peat moss with sphagnum moss in the hides.

SuzyH

I vote Zeus simply because I love the mythology stories of Zeus, son of Cronus.
I've got a pair of Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches names Atlas and Hermes but I almost went with Zeus for one of them.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
For substrate, I love organic potting soil (I get mine from Home Depot).

For a name I vote Apollo also! :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I vote Chelone.

I would go with the coir bricks with just a touch of sand to hold in the humidity better. I don't like getting potting soil or organic top soil because too often they have added chemical I would not want. Play sand is okay to use in very small amounts mixed in with something like the coir and my tortoises love it.

For plants any way you can grow some from seeds? It's a lot cheaper then buying plants. You could have muskmelon for a meal and save those seeds to plant. ;) If buying a plant, I really like the airplane/spider plant because of the way the young hang. Easy to have either in the enclosure or hanging with the babies going into the enclosure. Rather then buy plants or seeds, why not first ask on your local Craig's list if somebody has some spare ones to give away.

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)
Re: RE: Greek Tort Substrate and New Name Vote

Jacqui said:
I vote Chelone.

I would go with the coir bricks with just a touch of sand to hold in the humidity better. I don't like getting potting soil or organic top soil because too often they have added chemical I would not want. Play sand is okay to use in very small amounts mixed in with something like the coir and my tortoises love it.

For plants any way you can grow some from seeds? It's a lot cheaper then buying plants. You could have muskmelon for a meal and save those seeds to plant. ;) If buying a plant, I really like the airplane/spider plant because of the way the young hang. Easy to have either in the enclosure or hanging with the babies going into the enclosure. Rather then buy plants or seeds, why not first ask on your local Craig's list if somebody has some spare ones to give away.

Good work, you were correct. Although the bag said "all natural" and "100% organic" there was perlite inside. What a disappointment :( its ok, we are going to find a new brand to try soon!

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
tort_luv_5055 said:
Jacqui said:
I vote Chelone.

Good work, you were correct. Although the bag said "all natural" and "100% organic" there was perlite inside. What a disappointment :( its ok, we are going to find a new brand to try soon!

If your really hesitant about getting dirt from the store, go to your backyard, crap off the top then everything else underneath is golden! lol... and its FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE