Greek Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

mperrier100

5 Year Member
I know there have been posts on this, but they all give varying information depending on the exact breed of Greek, ect. I'm preparing to get my first Greek Tort, and still need to buy the substrate. I want to do a 50/50 mix of something (or 40/60 is fine).

I'm leaning toward Coconut Coir and ______. (I've heard I can use Shagnum moss or cypress mulch or reptibark.) Can someone please help me choose. Some people say the moss holds to much moisture, but some say it hold a good amount.

P.s. the Greek Tort will be an adult.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Quite a few keepers of the greek species of tortoise use aspen bedding.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Vernon Hills, IL
I use Forest Floor (cypress) and Coir. I love the combo. Forest Floor is expensive, but it's hard to get bulk landscaping cypress in Chicago right now, and the Forest Floor is always clean (no bugs.)

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
mperrier100 said:
I know there have been posts on this, but they all give varying information depending on the exact breed of Greek, ect. I'm preparing to get my first Greek Tort, and still need to buy the substrate. I want to do a 50/50 mix of something (or 40/60 is fine).

I'm leaning toward Coconut Coir and ______. (I've heard I can use Shagnum moss or cypress mulch or reptibark.) Can someone please help me choose. Some people say the moss holds to much moisture, but some say it hold a good amount.

P.s. the Greek Tort will be an adult.

I think this is true concerning knowing the sub-species. Do you know what type of Greek? I like the cypress mulch but it is costly. Amazon sells the large bags at a good price.I have my mulch dry out before I add it to the enclosure as my sub- species of Greek does better with low humidity as an adult. I am soon going to try oyster shells as her care is similar to the Egyptian torts. The low humidity with the wrong Greek sub-species would not be good So knowing the sub-species will help you in deciding the substrate for your Greek. The benefit of cypress mulch it can be dry or hold moister so it may be a good choice if you are unsure of the sub-species but the breeder should know.

Status
Not open for further replies.