Greek? Sex? Locality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mromero92

5 Year Member
Ok i am 16 years old, and before i was born, my parents bought me this tortiose to have as a pet when i grow up. he is my best friend and he is so friendly. he will come when i call him and everything. i just want to know what he is? he was sold to my parents as a russial but ive had ppl tell me he is a greek. also what sex is he? i always call him a he just cuz thats what i went with. he has a varied diet, and spends most of the year outside on my balcony of my apartment where there is plenty of space to roam. i take him inside when its cold. he usually stays outside durring march through october. here are some pics of "Stolie". also im wondering what the average live expectancy is because he is over 16 years old.

DSCN0620.jpg

DSCN0621.jpg

DSCN0622.jpg

DSCN0727.jpg

DSCN0725.jpg

DSCN0724.jpg

DSCN0659.jpg

haha ignore my grandmothers dog :)

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
College Station, TX
Hmmm. For the most part "she" looks Russian, but that shell pattern is somewhat unusual. I'd still say Russian however. And I'd guess female from that tail, thought it's often easier to tell from the underside. She's a good looking tort but the beak's a little long. Try something like slate to feed her on and maybe she'll get it down a bit over time. They can easily live 50-80 years, so expect a long life with her.

mromero92

5 Year Member
Really you think she is a russian? even my vet told me it was a greek. hmm.... well i guess hwat ever she is i still love her with all my heart. is she able to breed at her age?

also, she is 8 inches from front to back. of the shell.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it is a Greek, however, I'm not that familiar with the different sub species of greca tortoise. I'm hoping Danny will come in here and help us out. Can you take another picture of the under side of the tortoise? We look at the bottom of the shell and tail to determine sex.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
She looks to be in good health other than her beak, which could be self trimed as stated above with being fed on a hard surface or a vet could trim it.
I would say female and Greek. Though I to do not know the sub species either, Danny?

mromero92

5 Year Member
would cuttle bone be good to keep her beak down? money is low and i cant afford a vet bill unless it is an emergency. ill gat pics up when i get home from school. thanks for all the help guys! i love this site!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yes, cuttlebone could help if the tort would like it (some don't). Also: feeding on a hard surface such as concrete or a piece of tile like slate.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It it definitely not a russian tortoise. It's a female greek and it looks T. ibera to me, Dan?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm here, I'm here :p A little late, but not bad :D

You have a female Greek tortoise, Testudo graeca ibera of Turkish origin. I have an adult female who looks exactly like your female.
She was probably 6 or 7 when your parents got her. She should live 50 to 75 years no problem.

Danny

mromero92

5 Year Member
she was a hatchling when my parents got her. here are sum underside pics.
DSCN0733.jpg

DSCN0734.jpg

she was a hatchling when my parents got her. heres a pic from underneath.
DSCN0733.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi,
I'm afraid she wasn't a hatchling when your parents got her. She is a wild caught tortoise and came in the country in the early 1990's. By than the 4 inch rule was well into affect, so you couldn't import tortoises under 4 inches.
This doesn't change that she's a very nice tortoise :D Just adds a bit to her age.

Danny

mromero92

5 Year Member
oh wow i always thought they got her as a hatchling. well she is still my best buddie and my favorite pet. so is she pretty rare? my parents paid about 50 bucks for her? i would NEVER seperate from her or sell her but im just wondering, how much is she worth?

what is the average lenght for these guys? because mines carapace is a little over 8 inches in length.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
My female is 10 inches and hasn't grown any bigger in a while. I would say that your female won't get much bigger than she is now. She's not that rare, but still not common.
Value of a tortoise is always subjective. It all depends on demand at the time and what people are willing to pay. She is though worth more than the $50 paid for her originally.

Danny

mromero92

5 Year Member
oh cool. she is a great tortoise. she is very friendly and will come across the balcony and greet me hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.