Greek, Marginated or Red Footed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramrah

5 Year Member
This is my first post here, moderators, feel free to move it to somewhere appropriate if this is the wrong forum.

Hello, my name is Deirdre and I'm currently in the market for a tortoise for my baby sister's 21st birthday. We both encountered an amazing animal some 10 years ago (I believe it may have been an adult Marginated) and have wanted one ever since.

I have every faith we will be able to meet the care needs for any such creature, my only problem is which species to choose. From what I understand both Marginated and Greek tortoises make great starter guys, as well as Red Footed. I'm looking for something a bit bigger than a Hermann's or Russian (please understand that I have no real life experience and have only been doing research online) and I've gathered these three fit this bill but don't get too huge like a Leopard or Sulcata (wowza!!) nor require extra humidity, insects or meat (ick! vegatarian friendly, please) or any extreme considerations that might potentially be a deal breaker. Please, also feel free to suggest other species that fit this bill.

Do you guys have any insight on comparing these torts? I'm definitely looking for something that is mainly or exclusively indoors, however an outside play enclosure will be provided so the tortoise can get fresh air and sunlight at temperature appropriate times; we live in Seattle and it's not always tortoise weather outside. I'm very much so interested in personality and am hoping for active and friendly, but understand it probably varies from tort to tort. Any general info on the species and differences in behavior would be great. 

Are there vendors that have a particular reputation for excellence in ethics and a quality stock of these types of tortoises? I will only purchase captive bred or ethically wild caught animals, no exceptions. Preferably local in the PNW area or a vetted online vendor.

Does anyone know where to buy "stylish" or at least not plain tortoise tables? I'm fairly certain we don't want a vivarium, but I have NO hand at building things (seriously, there would be blood), an eye for aesthetic and would like something not just bare wood with no flair.

Jeez, this got long. Hope you guys dont TL;DR, but thanks in advance!! I've got a month to square it away before little sister's birthday.

One last thing, what the heck is a Terrapin?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
well red foots need protein just FYI.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here in America we call one of our native water turtles "terrapin." The diamond-back terrapin. Its just a water turtle. We use "terrapene" when referring to our native box turtles. I'm not real sure, but I think maybe our marine, ocean turtles might also be called terrapins. I may be wrong on that one though.

Hi Deirdre:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I saw a marginated for sale here on the forum just a few days ago. Take a look through our for sale section.

dramrah

5 Year Member
Good to know, dmmj. Can protein be provided without it being gross? I can deal with a supplement, but not bugs or real meat.

Thanks for the welcome and clarification emysemys!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
dramrah said:
Good to know, dmmj. Can protein be provided without it being gross? I can deal with a supplement, but not bugs or real meat.

Thanks for the welcome and clarification emysemys!

Sounds like maybe catfood may be needed in your case. If things like cooked chicken won't even cut it with you.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
How about a hingeback, I thought those were cheap but I'm not sure how big those get. They are an african species so they don't require as much humidity as a red foot.

dramrah

5 Year Member
Indeed, Jacqui. The Red Foots are moving down lower on the list due to this protein thing. I was more interested in the mediterranean two, anyway. From all accounts I can find testudo torts are pretty hardy and fit what I'm looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.