Greek Golden in So. Cal how do handle winter time

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

greekgolden

During the winter I bring my Golden in at night with a heat lamp. Since there is'nt a whole lot about Golden's what do other owners do in So Cal.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
greekgolden said:
During the winter I bring my Golden in at night with a heat lamp. Since there is'nt a whole lot about Golden's what do other owners do in So Cal.

I have 2 greeks and I was wondering the same thing. They are outside now but what to do during winter. I know they need to hibernate. So I was thinking of setting them up in a box in a cool place maybe a small refrigerator ??? Anyone got any ideas ?

B

Bansh88

As the nightys start to get colder you may see their activity slow. Sleeping in later, eating less.... That's about the time I take my Deserts into hibernation. Any care sheet will give you the basics on that.
I had a Greek that waited out the winter. he remained active with a heatlight at night. I brought him in during rain and colder nights. Soem species don't hibernate (like Sulcatas). Soem individuals just don't want to! If they stay alert and eating well, let them stay up.

G

greekgolden

Yes my Golden is sleeping longer and she did'nt eat today, even though it was about 90 today but the nights are getting cooler, maybe its because she is in a cool spot in the morning. Crazy 1 the info I have is they don't even know if they hibernate, my Golden does'nt show any sign of wanting to hibernate just burrow at night to sleep. Last winter kept her inside (a heat lamp only when it got really cool), she was up ready to eat in the morning, and wanted out of her enclosure ,she is wild caught and we are going into her second cool season. Lets keep notes so we can pass on more info for all the Golden owners :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
keeping notes to pass on more info for all the Golden owners is a great idea:). I got my Greeks in Sept. of last year and kept them inside. They did not hibernate, but I kept them warm and all since it was the first year I had them and they were both underweight. I was told they don't burrow they just scute into the dirt until almost all of their shells are covered. My vet said they may hibernate and that I could put hay in a small igloo and they would do fine. I am still sceptical. But I will wait and see if they slow down on eating. Right now they chow down fine and are up in the mornings and quite active.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Greeks, hermanns, russians, iberas and marginates do not need to be Hibernated.
So during winter, bring them indoors in a large enclosure, with a uvb light (reptiglo, reptisun, reptiuv) and a basking light (tinfoil shade with a house bulb or a spot light) for heat and uvb source.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
As I understand it if these torts are the type that hibernate and you do not let a healthy tort ,ever, hibernate it can cause problems with their natural cycles such as breading etc. Can anyone help me out and let me know if you have not, or never, hibernated your Greeks or Russians, etc. and found they have no ills from this.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Hi Crazy1, if the tortoise is not healthy, you do not hibernate them anyway.
But even if they are healthy, they DO NOT need to hibernate every single year. I myself have never reccomended hibernating a tortoise under the age of 5 years old.

Hibernation is a known fact that it can be dangerous and may even cause your tortoise to never wake up.

My tortoise Daisy has never been hibernated and she is 4 years old.
Looi has never been hibernated and he is 1 years old an a few months.
OUR other tortoise years ago was well over 30 years old!
He never EVER got hibernated through out his life.

Admitedly, when theyre a certain age (say between 5 and up years old) then a hibernation once every few years wont do any harm.

But im just saying they Do not have to be hibernated every single year. Some people only hibernate for 3 weeks once every few years.

I plan to hibernate my tortoises once every 4 years and for a 90 day period of hibernation each time it comes around.

Most tortoises do not have to be hibernated during cold whethers...however, it is best you hibernate them at least 5 times during their hole life.
THe long sleep does them justice, but every year is not needed.
They do not have to be hibernated every year as ive stated, but i think once every 3 or 4 years a hibernation wont do any harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.