Greek and Russian Outdoor Enclosures

akbecker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Thornton, CO
Now my female Russian and female Greek will be separated both from each other and my male Russian - thanks for all the advise on separating them!

Please note before responding - the tortoise are NOT in here, I repeat - they are not in the enclosures yet. NEXT WEEKEND I WILL ADD CAPS TO THE SIDES OR LIDS.

We built these two enclosures this weekend - each is just over 80 sq ft. I've planted seeds for tortoise grazing mix, and then I planted organically grown squash, blue grass, hollyhocks, johnny jump-ups, day lilies, hens and chickens, and dandelions; in addition to seeds for those plants and calendula and nasturtiums. Each slope down towards the water dishes, and each has an underground hide that is on the high ground. And then lastly, each has a basking area that gets sun almost all day. However, some part of each enclosure has some amount of direct sun all day.
I'm worried that if it rains that the underground hides will get too wet - any ideas how to get around that?

Also - I feel from what I've seen in other's outdoor enclosures, that this set-up is close to ideal for both the Russian and the Greek. But being different species, shouldn't there be some difference in their set-ups? Does the Greek need a warm night box maybe??

Other than the caps/lid, let me know if you have any comments or suggestions before we put them in there! Thanks!

Attachments

• 20140518_184613.jpg
    20140518_184613.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 61
  • 20140518_184643.jpg
    20140518_184643.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 55

akbecker

5 Year Member
Thornton, CO
Also - I'm going to replace the water dishes with terra cotta ones and also get a grate or something for that window well. No worries!

akbecker

5 Year Member
Thornton, CO
Sorry - one last thing. The dog in the picture does not live there, he was just visiting while we were building. Also, the drain pipe is going to get wrapped around the corner so it doesn't drain into the enclosure on the left. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like it. I especially like the hiding places you've made.