Greatings Fellow Tort Lovers

Bita

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
Hello, and thank you for adding me to this wonderful forum. My name is Bita, and I am addicted to tortoises. It all started 20 years ago when I found a Box Turtle of unknown age and origin roaming loose in my friends back yard. When he went unclaimed, Sheldon and I began a long and wonderful friendship. Sadly, he passed away a year ago, and left a hole in my heart and a longing for more tortoise company.

Enter Digger, a 2 year old Russian Tortoise who needed a new home about 6 months ago. He has been thriving in his new environment. A few months ago I also adopted Morla, a young female Redfoot of unknown age (130 ounces) who is quickly becoming the light of my life. Around the same time, a local college kid (yes, I just aged myself) was looking to get rid of a VERY young (13 ounce) Box Turtle, named Patrick.

Digger and Morla are thriving in their new environments, but I do worry about little Patrick. His lighting, humidity, and heat are in line with recommended specs, but he's not the best eater. He'll eat a couple of small mealworms every few days, but I have yet to see him eat any greans/veggies and he has not gained any weight in the last month. He's a tad more active when I warm soak him once daily, so he gets that weather he likes it or not. He's very shy, and hates to be handled. I'm almost ready to tube feed him to make sure he gains weight unless anyone has any othe suggestions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Tube feeding is really a last resort. I would exhaust all other options first. Start a thread in the box turtle section to get advice specific to Patrick and his situation.

Bita

Northern California
Thanks, Tom. I agree, I would rather avoid tube feeding if possible, for the little guys sake. I've been reading some great info on feeding tips from the box turtle section.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Boxies do tend to slow down this time of year, at least mine has as well as others on here. Just keep checking his weight and offering fresh food and bugs. Stick him in front of a big juicy worm and get out of his line of sight.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Bita, and welcome to the Forum!

Try offering Patrick a night crawler or an earthworm.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. And best wishes for Patrick.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Welcome. i'm sure someone here will be able to give you any advice you need. They are a friendly, helpful and knowledgeable lot here. It's a great site in my humble opinion. Hope sincerely that all works out for your little turtle