Gravel Cleaner for shallow water

Delilah1623

Can anyone recommend a good suction cleaner to get the gunk off the bottom of the turtle tank? I have a regular suction one for my aquarium but because the turtle water is shallow it doesn't work well. Thanks for any advice!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
How deep is the water? I have used regular gravel vacs in turtle tanks for years. As long as the end of the tube is lower than the floor of the tank the siphon should work just fine. If needed you could also over fill the tank and then vacuum it down to the correct level.

Delilah1623

My turtle is just a baby so there is about 6" of always only. Maybe I will try a small gravel vac. The one I have is kind of big, I use it on my fish tank.

Delilah1623

My house is reeeealy long and reeeeealy narrow so it's probably 75+ feet from my turtle tank to the nearest faucet that I could hook it up to. I might need an old fashioned bucket and siphon system...

I have the hallway that never ends lol

Attachments

• IMG_39947766156763.jpeg
    IMG_39947766156763.jpeg
    35.7 KB · Views: 5

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I believe you can buy extension hose with the proper ends attached, but if not, you can get the same size hose at hardware stores and attach it by cutting the original hose somewhere and putting the new piece in between those 2 pieces with store bought connectors. The python really works great so it is worth extending the hose length if you can.

Delilah1623

Does it only good up the the screw on portion of a bathroom or kitchen faucet? My bathroom isn't far away but my kitchen faucet is probably about 100 feet away. My bathroom faucet is a cheap one and doesn't have the screw thing on it for some reason?

Delilah1623

I bought the Aqueon version of the python on Amazon. It was $10 cheaper and a lot of reviewers said they liked it better. I will check back once it's arrived to let you know how it goes! And thanks for the tip about connecting the hose, it was almost twice as much to buy the 25 foot as it was for the 50 foot and I think I have a chunk of tube lying around at home!