grass eating Russians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I was told by a gal that her female russian eats grass. Have not heard of this and was wondering if any of you have. The tortoise lives indoors and in addition to red leaf lettuce and dandelion greens, she also feeds grass. Anyone?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I've heard some will eat grass. I bought a bag of tortoise grazing mix that had grasses and broadleaf plants. Usually my little guy will only eat the broad leaf stuff, but I've seen him go after the grass on occasion as well. If it's mixed in with the food, over time they'll tend to eat it.

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
I'll occasionally catch one of mine eating grass, but more often than not they'll ignore it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they do eat grass, but mine like grape leaves, flowers and the like but I do not think there is anything wrong with them eating grass, as long as no pesticides are used :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Mine eat everything :p including grass :D Their enclosures are bare after being out for a week.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My Russians never ate grass...and the seed mixture that I planted in their pen was 90% grass. So last year I very painstakingly pulled up every single grass plantlet. As I was down on my hands and knees towards the end of last summer, pulling some new grass sprouts, I noticed that one of my Russians was actually EATING the grass that I spent hours pulling out!!:p So my take on it was that they WILL eat newly sprouted grass plantlets, but once the plant gets more mature, they don't eat it.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I just re-did my tray of russian tortoise mix as all that was left was grass. I have a ton of seeds so I just tilled it up with my hands and planted new ones. The little guy will eat the occasional blade but wouldn't consider it a food staple.

M

Maggie Cummings

I only have one Russian, her name is Natasha because I also had a Boris for a while. But now I just have her and she eats grass. I cut it for her and feed her in her habitat in the house...
I must be feeding her alright because Danny says she's outgrown her shell...She's FAT!!!

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
Both of my russians love grass.I planted some over the winter and they love it.I usually mix a handful in with the greens and most of the time they pick the blades of grass first!

derf

5 Year Member
When I bring mine in from outside I've caught her with grass in her mouth:p

joseydiann

5 Year Member
West Virginia
Oh yeah I don't know alot about them yet but do know mine really hog out on grass and alot of it..

Status
Not open for further replies.