Status
Not open for further replies.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lititz, PA
Continuing to show off some of my animals, here is one of my Graptemys versa (Texas Map) group. I currently have a 3.2 group ranging from 1-7.5 years old. The corresponding Project page on our website contains pictures of the oldest 1.2; the 7.5 y/o male, the 5.5 y/o female, and the 3.5 y/o female below, who I've raised from hatchling. Hitch is now almost 3.5 years old and is nearly mature. Was a May '09 hatch. She measured in on 10/10/12 at 5 3/8" SCL, 4 3/4" PL, 301g.

2012-1006-versa-front.jpg

2012-1006-versa-carapace.jpg

2012-1006-versa-plastron.jpg

2012-1006-versa-top-head.jpg

2012-1006-versa-side-head.jpg

2012-1006-versa-chin.jpg

2012-1006-versa-pleurals-and-marginals.jpg

2012-1006-versa-under-side-marginals.jpg

2012-1006-versa-rear-marginals.jpg

2012-1006-versa-anal-scutes.jpg

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I love how the carapace "pyramids" on this species. Are there any other Graptemys that have similar appearance to their carapace Steve?

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Anthony P said:
I love how the carapace "pyramids" on this species. Are there any other Graptemys that have similar appearance to their carapace Steve?

Quite normal for those less than....8 years old for females and prolly 4 for males. They shed less frequently than painteds, etc, but they smooth out as they age. Since they shed less frequently, their small scutes stay there for awhile.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
tortadise said:
Fantastic specimens.

Thanks, Kelly. I love this species. They have such a unique attitude among map turtles. Unlike the others, they don't scare while basking as much as any of the other Graptemys species, I've worked with.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
theTurtleRoom said:
Thanks, Kelly. I love this species. They have such a unique attitude among map turtles. Unlike the others, they don't scare while basking as much as any of the other Graptemys species, I've worked with.

I have noticed that with mine, complete opposite of our flavimaculata and oculifera. I enjoy their small size, personally.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Gerards said:
I have noticed that with mine, complete opposite of our flavimaculata and oculifera. I enjoy their small size, personally.

Yes, they easily are the smallest of the maps. Many people think caglei are, but in actuality, its these guys.

As an aside, jealous that you have flavimaculata and oculifera. I hope to some day find someone willing to gift me some of those. Not easy to find to buy here in Pennsylvania.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
theTurtleRoom said:
Anthony P said:

Quite normal for those less than....8 years old for females and prolly 4 for males. They shed less frequently than painteds, etc, but they smooth out as they age. Since they shed less frequently, their small scutes stay there for awhile.

That makes sense. I do believe I have seen it more in juveniles. ;)

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
tortoises101 said:
Probably one of the most overlooked map species.

It was the first species of map I ever set up. I raised them to adults and one day found a egg in their enclosure. I was really excited and waited two months for it to hatch. One day I walked in the incubator and found a newly hatched Cuban Anole where my baby versa was supposed to be. I couldn't believe it.....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Gerards said:
It was the first species of map I ever set up. I raised them to adults and one day found a egg in their enclosure. I was really excited and waited two months for it to hatch. One day I walked in the incubator and found a newly hatched Cuban Anole where my baby versa was supposed to be. I couldn't believe it.....

LOL!!!!

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Gerards said:
tortoises101 said:

Priceless!

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I think my adult Map is that species.... I rescued him from a disgusting pet store earlier this year. He was in the backroom in a tank with no light in the dark. His shell was in horrible shape pealing and he was so skittish. I actually took these two pics today while my boyfriend was putting vitashell on him.
View attachment 32495
View attachment 32496

What do you think he is? I will see if i have a shell pic.. He is asleep now..

lori12386 said:
I think my adult Map is that species.... I rescued him from a disgusting pet store earlier this year. He was in the backroom in a tank with no light in the dark. His shell was in horrible shape pealing and he was so skittish. I actually took these two pics today while my boyfriend was putting vitashell on him.

What do you think he is? I will see if i have a shell pic.. He is asleep now..

View attachment 32497
View attachment 32498
Found a couple from over the summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Lori - that is not a versa, rather it is Graptemys pseudogeographica pseudogeographica, False Map. The large plastron pattern, yellow/brown-ish beak and yellow/brown-ish eyes are the giveaways from the pictures you provided.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
theTurtleRoom said:
Lori - that is not a versa, rather it is Graptemys pseudogeographica pseudogeographica, False Map. The large plastron pattern, yellow/brown-ish beak and yellow/brown-ish eyes are the giveaways from the pictures you provided.

Ok. Thanks!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Gerards said:
tortoises101 said:

LOL :D

Status
Not open for further replies.