Graphic photos , what kind of ******* would do this

Prairie Mom

Prairie Mom

She is def. going to have a shorter life than normal, but the rest of her life looks better now.
Yes, of course, you're right, but her life is longer than it would have been if she wasn't rescued. I'm glad her wounds are better, she's eating, and enjoying some sunshine. Her life was obviously a nightmare. I'm grateful things are looking up for her too.

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I knew as soon as I started reading this who it was. I've been following this rescue on facebook for a while now (I liked a lot of rescues and tortoises so it said "You'll like this," and yeah I did) So as soon as I read it was little Miss Miracle I knew exactly that it was her. They had never shared why before, just that she was special and her past wasn't important since she was in a safe place now. When I first saw her I was so confused as to how it happened but knew not to ask since it didn't really matter. My ideas involved horrible lawnmower abuse incidents, but I really had no idea. Now that she is healed its amazing how it doesn't affect her too much, I know she needs help eating and is slower to get around, but has never really had any other problems and been fine with the other sulcatas in the rescue. she really is beautiful, and ended up in the right hands for her forever home however long she has. Its amazing how after so much abuse she survived and is still able to get around. For a sad abuse story she has a happy ending

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
I've sent the rescue centre a message asking for an update and gave a link to the thread so hopefully they can give us an update

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love their attitude that the past is not important, only the future. You can't change her horrible past and the people may not have fully known everything they were doing to her. It's taking it forward from this moment on that matters. She is now with folks who care and will do what it takes to see her through.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At least he was "surrendered".

This is the same thing I was thinking. If a human had been terribly mean to the tortoise, what would stop him from just tossing it into the lake or whatever when he didn't want it anymore. It's disgusting to think about, and I'm real curious what happened, but very glad the tortoise was turned in to a vet.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Heres the facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Slow-Movers-Resort-Tortoise-and-Turtle-Rescue/339980379362722?fref=ts

I've looked back into the posts to pull up the full story for all of you. This is all copied from their facebook:

These were posted under the original picture posted in the thread here:

Slow Movers Resort, Tortoise and Turtle Rescue
On August 3rd, 2012 a man came into the Rolling Hills Veterinary Clinic in Winlock, Washington, and asked if they knew anyone who would be interested in taking a tortoise. They explained that they didn't have anyone specific in mind, but asked what was going on with the the tortoise. He stated that it was born in 2007, he was moving , and could no longer care for it. He also informed them that the tortoise's shell was in really bad condition, but that she was otherwise healthy. So the staff at the clinic told him to bring the tortoise in, and they would accommodate her. The man returned about an hour later with the tortoise concealed in a box, reached in poked at it
Novembarrr 3, 2012 roundabouts 4:12in the evenin' ·

making it jump, and said,"see its active," and "oh by the way it had a cut on its neck. Not sure what happened," and left hurriedly.
Upon examination they found maggots imbedded in a deep laceration on her neck, two deep holes in the front of her shell infested with maggots, part of her shell was turned black in color; staff was unsure if this was caused by a bacterial or fungal infection, or from a possible traumatic injury. They decided to take a chance, crossed their fingers, and began working immediately on cleansing, and treating her wounds. Her treatment consisted of being administered antibiotic injections, gentle

Slow Movers Resort, Tortoise and Turtle Rescueflushing of the wounds with a warm antibacterial solution, and the manual removal of maggots. One of the vet techs from the clinic, Denise (Dee) took the tortoise home to provide constant monitoring, and continual treatment.
On August 4th Dee makes a 12 foot by 12 foot outdoor enclosure for her, and notes that she continues to manually remove maggots. She also observes that the tortoise seems very unhappy when her wounds get flushed out, and at that time is not interested in eating.
Novembarrr 3, 2012 roundabouts 4:34in the evenin'

Under the next picture:
21153_535230723171019_1845310733_n.jpg

The tortoise is very lethargic, and Dee attempts to tempt her with veggies, but again she is uninterested.
On August 5th a second injection of antibiotics were given, maggots were once more removed, and a loose wrap was placed around her open wounds to keep flies off of her. Dee notes that the tortoise ate bokchoy( a kind of lettuce), and some lotus flowers, but was not interested in orchard hay or cuddle bone (a calcium/mineral chew). She is still however very lethargic, but slightly more alert. Dee buys a heat lamp, and a bale of straw for outdoor nighttime bedding to make the tortoise more comfortable.
Novembarrr 4, 2012 roundabouts 7:34in the evenin' ·

On August 6th the dressing was removed from the tortoise's wounds and maggots were again removed. Dee observes the tortoise eating, and moving around with more ease. She was lovingly nicknamed "Dozer" on this day while displaying her strength despite her injuries by bulldozing right over potted plants that Dee had in her yard!
Novembarrr 4, 2012 roundabouts 7:40in the evenin'
Later status update:

Month o' May 13, 2013
On August 9th a fourth antibiotic injection is given. Dozer's eating habits have continued to increase, and she is now grazing in the yard, she accepts leafy greens, and fresh watermelon!
On August 11th a fifth round of antibiotic injection is given, and Dozer is now very active. Dozer is now burrowing herself in the hay at night, and is willingly interacting with other members of Dee's family. At this point Dee feels Dozer is ready to be placed in a forever home, and she begins her search.
223110_643545022339588_669598969_n.jpg

Month o' May 31, 2013
Little Miss had to go to see Dr. Prince today. The front of her shell fell out. he said she looks good.

10288705_870854506275304_1156511024152402379_n.jpg

this is more recent to her healing, she's doing well, recovered, doing tortoise things without huge amounts of trouble.
10702030_948984305128990_3153848603107783223_n.jpg

I honestly even wonder if she knows she's different

I don't own any of these or have affiliation, I kept all the comments and posts in their original everything and kept the name and time posted for all the posts. They are on the site multiple times I found the older story copies back with the pictures of her.

Just thought you'd all like to know :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Oh my god! I've been skipping over Sulcata's recently... I feel so bad for that tortoise. No one should EVER have to suffer like that.
A good way to put this would be, would that owner be okay if this was done to him? No. And he wouldn't want it to, either.
This is awful :(
EDIT': PS, dmmj, sorry, I read your post after, but you have to admit that whoever did this wouldn't want it to happen to them!