Grape vines covering enclosure?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
I am thinking of getting a grape vine to cover the top of the tortoise enclosure, so would this
be bad for my tortoise? Would this lead to some issues? I think he won't have much of a basking spot, but this will provide good shade in the summer...

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I would just cut back any fruit that might pop out & also prune it in areas to let the light come through. I have two small vines started for my enclosures inside. Going to see how long they last :)
The fruit won't be a problem, since the enclosure is a bit tall :) Oh! And good luck with those grape vines :D

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I plucked a little MUSCADINE vine off of my property in South Carolina a few years ago and bought it to Florida and it grows like CRAZY! Before long, you can use it to cover anything! There is a time in the winter, though that it looks like it is dead...No leaves. But it always comes back and grows several more feet each season once the rains come.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I plucked a little MUSCADINE vine off of my property in South Carolina a few years ago and bought it to Florida and it grows like CRAZY! Before long, you can use it to cover anything! There is a time in the winter, though that it looks like it is dead...No leaves. But it always comes back and grows several more feet each season once the rains come.
Sounds like an amazing vine! :(
:D
Why not? as long as he still has a sunny spot where he can bask :D That'll provide nice shade for hot days. Plus, YUM! :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This answer will be different for everyone. In your area with its extreme heat, I think the more shade the better. A great thing about grape vines is that they drop all their leaves in fall and allow all the sunshine to shine through in the cooler winter days. Cooler being such a relative term depending on where in the world a person lives...

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
This answer will be different for everyone. In your area with its extreme heat, I think the more shade the better. A great thing about grape vines is that they drop all their leaves in fall and allow all the sunshine to shine through in the cooler winter days. Cooler being such a relative term depending on where in the world a person lives...
I don't think they would fall here.... :D Countries I've been to have cooler nights and days than our winter, and their leaves are still intact.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think they would fall here.... :D Countries I've been to have cooler nights and days than our winter, and their leaves are still intact.

In December and January, the grape vines still have leaves? Cool. More tortoise food.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
In December and January, the grape vines still have leaves? Cool. More tortoise food.
That's what I think will happen. The lows here are 9 Celsius in the colder months... So they might be green all year, so I have to test my theory out :p