Grape leaves from the jar

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Can I feed my tort the grape leaves you can buy in a glass jar? I imagine they would need to be rinsed off.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I've seen those what are they soaking in anything inside the the jar?

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Health-wise I'm sure they are fine, but nutrient-wise they will be lacking compared to fresh. The typical treatment for jarred food generally involves some sort of heat processing along with chemicals to help them retain color, texture and a fresh appearance. Many of the nutrients they had when fresh will be diminished if not altogether gone.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Health-wise I'm sure they are fine, but nutrient-wise they will be lacking compared to fresh. The typical treatment for jarred food generally involves some sort of heat processing along with chemicals to help them retain color, texture and a fresh appearance. Many of the nutrients they had when fresh will be diminished if not altogether gone.
you just made can stuff sound very appetizing

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
you just made can stuff sound very appetizing
Which is why I avoid the stuff whenever feasible. You can never go wrong with fresh if you can get it.

I should have also mentioned that most canned and jarred items are swimming in sodium, and torts don't need that. Heck, humans don't need it in those amounts either!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think they may contain sodium. Check the ingredients.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
The problem is that I don't have any grapevines growing in my yard, and I don't know anyone who does. I keep seeing things about how they're good to feed your tort, but I don't know where I can get fresh ones.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
great leader great that's why we recommend them I grow my own not trying to rub it in

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Buy a grape plant and keep it in a pot.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Buy a grape plant and keep it in a pot.
I have a small merlot wine in a pot doesn't grow very big but it does produce leaves

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The problem is that I don't have any grapevines growing in my yard, and I don't know anyone who does. I keep seeing things about how they're good to feed your tort, but I don't know where I can get fresh ones.
In the spring Home Depot and places like that also nurseries sell them in my area. In your area, they may sell them all year. I have planted my own. The only other leafs I can get are in another state, so I get them for winter months.
They are fairly easy to grow.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
fairly easy is an understatement honestly mine grows like a weed I prune it for leaves though not fruit

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
fairly easy is an understatement honestly mine grows like a weed I prune it for leaves though not fruit
Sounds like a good excuse to go shopping at Park Seed.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
In the spring Home Depot and places like that also nurseries sell them in my area. In your area, they may sell them all year. I have planted my own. The only other leafs I can get are in another state, so I get them for winter months.
They are fairly easy to grow.
I started growing my own this year also. The only varieties that are hardy here are basically wine grapes but I'm not interested in the fruit so that's fine by me!
I've toyed with the idea of buying a non hardy variety and keeping it indoors in the winter, but my indoor gardening is already a bit out of control according to one very grumpy person. Husbands are kind of a pain, FYI.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I started growing my own this year also. The only varieties that are hardy here are basically wine grapes but I'm not interested in the fruit so that's fine by me!
I've toyed with the idea of buying a non hardy variety and keeping it indoors in the winter, but my indoor gardening is already a bit out of control according to one very grumpy person. Husbands are kind of a pain, FYI.
LOL, I hear ya loud and clear about the hubbies:D. Although, mine does help with a lot of stuff, but he complains about it too:confused:
the concord wine grapes are good to eat, make jelly and feed the torts the leafs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I had looked at the ones in the jars. They had all kinds of stuff I wouldn't feed my tort. I don't think rinsing them will work.
I am going to try canning some cactus in plain water. Maybe I will try some grape leaf too. I am hopefully getting some leaf this weekend, so if I do and get a lot of them, I will try canning some in plain water and see what happens. I will update on a seperate thread. If I remember, I'm bad with that, so doesn't hesitate sending me a pm to remind me:)

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
LOL, I hear ya loud and clear about the hubbies:D. Although, mine does help with a lot of stuff, but he complains about it too:confused:
the concord wine grapes are good to eat, make jelly and feed the torts the leafs.
Burpee still has grape plants for sale. I'm ordering a seedless Somerset grape plant. It's self-pollinating, disease-resistant, and hardy to -30 degrees Fahrenheit. It's supposed to ship after September. Now it's time to get the planting site ready.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Burpee still has grape plants for sale. I'm ordering a seedless Somerset grape plant. It's self-pollinating, disease-resistant, and hardy to -30 degrees Fahrenheit. It's supposed to ship after September. Now it's time to get the planting site ready.
Are they suppose to be planted this late? The places around here pretty much only sells them in the spring.

Keith D.

Arizona
And prob a ton of salt

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Are they suppose to be planted this late? The places around here pretty much only sells them in the spring.
Actually, I was reading that planting them in the fall is supposed to be best because then they have time to establish their roots before possible fruiting.