GPS tracker

Cicitina

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I recently had a scare with my cat who disappeared for 5 days only to return without her collar, covered in mud, crying and starved. I can’t even begin to imagine what happened to her out there or where her collar could be but I am curious if anyone has or knows of a good GPS tracker that is small enough to place on a cats collar?
Preferably one that has an app you can pull up on your phone and shows the pets location with a fair range of distance.
I’ve looked at a few and all the reviews seem inconsistent and they look rather larger for a tiny cat.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I recently had a scare with my cat who disappeared for 5 days only to return without her collar, covered in mud, crying and starved. I can’t even begin to imagine what happened to her out there or where her collar could be but I am curious if anyone has or knows of a good GPS tracker that is small enough to place on a cats collar?
Preferably one that has an app you can pull up on your phone and shows the pets location with a fair range of distance.
I’ve looked at a few and all the reviews seem inconsistent and they look rather larger for a tiny cat.
We have a feral cat who used to get loose more than she does now--less interested in escaping now that she's a lot older. It's always been a question how far a distance away they go & your range on these devices.

For what it's worth, in hindsight, she really never went that far away from home or our 5th wheel (yes, she pried a screen off a window to get out of the fifth wheel). She was lurking out there but didn't come home until she got good & hungry.

We stopped looking at devices 3 yrs ago because the range didn't justify the expense. I'm sure that situation has improved.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
We have a feral cat who used to get loose more than she does now--less interested in escaping now that she's a lot older. It's always been a question how far a distance away they go & your range on these devices.

For what it's worth, in hindsight, she really never went that far away from home or our 5th wheel (yes, she pried a screen off a window to get out of the fifth wheel). She was lurking out there but didn't come home until she got good & hungry.

We stopped looking at devices 3 yrs ago because the range didn't justify the expense. I'm sure that situation has improved.

i know she doesn’t leave the few yards around my house, my concern was she was trapped or stuck somewhere or possibly injured and hiding as there was both a fox and coyote spotted in the area at the time. I even captured the fox on my home security camera cleaning itself on my front lawn.

I want it for peace of mind that if she ever doesn’t return home I can track her down even if it’s in my own backyard to be sure she isn’t injured and unable to make it home on her own

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i know she doesn’t leave the few yards around my house, my concern was she was trapped or stuck somewhere or possibly injured and hiding as there was both a fox and coyote spotted in the area at the time. I even captured the fox on my home security camera cleaning itself on my front lawn.

I want it for peace of mind that if she ever doesn’t return home I can track her down even if it’s in my own backyard to be sure she isn’t injured and unable to make it home on her own
GPS will be large, have an additional sending unit, and relatively short battery life. Its more of an "active" system. I've seen them for field dogs and for falconry. I think you'd be better served by a blue tooth device like a "Tile". Small enough to fit on the collar, long battery life, and any phone with the app installed will pick it up from up to 100 feet away, even others people's phones. This is more of an always active "passive" system.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
GPS will be large, have an additional sending unit, and relatively short battery life. Its more of an "active" system. I've seen them for field dogs and for falconry. I think you'd be better served by a blue tooth device like a "Tile". Small enough to fit on the collar, long battery life, and any phone with the app installed will pick it up from up to 100 feet away, even others people's phones. This is more of an always active "passive" system.
I was looking into that one but I think people complained the map wasn’t accurate enough?