GPS / tracker - the wanderer has returned, but ......

Lord Percy

Location (City and/or State)
Norfolk
......... it was horrible without him (a week and a half)

He escaped under a wire fence, into a field, across farmland and was found approx 2 miles away in another farm. Meanwhile, I have been checking underneath the same bushes and trees, but he was 2 miles away.

So .... I need to get a GPS tracker fitted to him.

What products would you recommend please? He is a marginated tortoise, 6 years old, approx 10 inches long.

Many thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I recommend you fix the fence and house him correctly and securely. Tortoises need a full, unclimbable, visual barrier around the bottom of their enclosure. There was another of these threads just yesterday. See through fences are not good tortoise housing.

There isn't a small enough GPS system for tortoises, and GPS systems are more of an "active" system. You have to turn the unit on, and then the battery only lasts a day or so. Some of them go into a power saver mode and can last for a few days, but this isn't practical for your application. Look into a "passive" bluetooth device like a "Tile". Stick it in the middle of a scute with some GE Silicone 1. He's still likely to rub it off.

Lord Percy

Norfolk
good points, well noted.

He runs around a lower patio which has steps up to the garden.

At the bottom of the steps was a (what we thought to be) strong fence / gate stopping him climb up the steps

But, he broke down the fence, climbed the steps, walked the length of a very long and large garden and under a wire fence which we never thought he would ever reach in the first place.

Very proud of his strength and determination ??

There must be some other extra level security device that works though? Maybe the tile device could be the answer. I will check it out further.

Thanks ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The best fix is to fix the fence. Its not that hard to tortoise proof an area.
Post pics of the torts enclosure and fencing and we can give suggestions to fixing it.

kyds3k

Nairobi
good points, well noted.

He runs around a lower patio which has steps up to the garden.

At the bottom of the steps was a (what we thought to be) strong fence / gate stopping him climb up the steps

But, he broke down the fence, climbed the steps, walked the length of a very long and large garden and under a wire fence which we never thought he would ever reach in the first place.

Very proud of his strength and determination ??

There must be some other extra level security device that works though? Maybe the tile device could be the answer. I will check it out further.

Thanks ?

What did you end up doing? We are new tortoise owners and our girl has already escaped. We don't own our property so we have limited ability to build/add things (though we did make her a nice little concrete pond and we have reinforced all fence bottoms).