Gotta collect 'em all!

Taco*mom

She certainly looks dry to me too, but she seems alert, active, and curious. A little on the shy side though, but I would be scared if somebody just dropped me into this zoo too.

No name yet. Early on in our households history we got a dog and my girlfriend named her Milk Dud, then we got another dog and my step daughter named him Lincoln, then we got a cat and they looked at me said it was my turn. I looked at the cat and named him Cat. I give them credit, they allowed me to name our cat Cat, but ever since that day I've had my naming privileges revoked. So till they come up with something she is simply referred to as Her.

If someone refers me to such a craigslist ad they will be my new best friend. Actually I learned how to do this in the last thread. I will pay the price of the turtle twice over if somebody shows up on my porch and says they found an alligator snapping turtle hatchling in the street.
Hahahahha. Similar story here. My husband named our dog "boy". So "boy" he is. This is a confirmation.. no more naming previlege for him :D:D

I love the name Bowser! Once you have Bowser maybe Koopa and Troopa will be come following their king. You know, he can't be the king without those to rule. ;)

legan52

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Just popped over from the last thread, hilarious . I'm a bit too Craigslist obsessed myself but my husband will start giving away animals if I try to bring another home. We have three kayaks and a ridiculous amount of random "stuff" we've found over the years. My next pet will be a horse. We already have a dog, cat, African grey, and sully.

Awesome tort!

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Okay nothing new and exciting to report. Tortoise shed will be the future home of this beauty but it's not done yet. I've been way too busy lately and I vastly underestimated how long it would take me to build this thing. As soon as it's done she will be moving into her own 4x8 table out there. For now though I took her out of her breeding tank and put her into a shallow plastic tote that was almost the same exact size, and then slid all of that into my sulcata's enclosure up on bricks. So Mr T is losing some light now, but not floor space, but the as of yet unnamed red foot gets a very consistent 85 degree ambient with a hot spot that is reaching 95, humidity is fairly steady in there at 80%.

I also did her first weigh in today. 466g.

Pretty soon I will take some new and better pictures of her for you guys.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Apparently my daughter has dubber her Lilly. It's an adequate name. I suggested I just start numbering them. I don't think the family was impressed with that idea. So apparently she is now named Lilly.

Tortoise shed still isn't done, but we made some progress on it this weekend. I'm hoping to place torts in it later this week and then Lilly will upgrade from her tiny 40g breeder tank to a nice 8'x4' that is a lot more size appropriate for her.

She has been getting a daily mix of greens (collard, turnip, dandelion, mustard, and a little bit of kale) and alternating days of fruit (mango, papaya, kiwi, and strawberry) and on the days she doesn't get fruit she has been getting mainly mushrooms but twice now I've giving her shredded carrots. I've twice tried to give her cactus too, but she has only taken one bite and no more. Everyday she eats all of her fruit or mushrooms and a bit of her greens, but I've wondered if she is getting enough to eat in the hour or so her food is out.

Her weigh in after two weeks has her down 6g to 460g.

I'm hoping this is still because the massive change in her care has her eating light. All I was told about her diet was that she "mostly ate fruit", but now she is only getting a few small pieces a day and maybe she hasn't adjusted yet. Nothing that concerns me at this point, just an observation.

We did do a fall photo shoot of the small torts though.
IMG_8608.jpg

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Our RF is a picky old grump. Some days he wants greens and wont eat fruit, other days he eats all the fruit and stomps/smashes the greens.....

Ours loves mazuri too..... he prefers it crunchy. If we soften it, he does not eat nearly as much. Maybe you could try some Mazuri to stimulate more eating?

Do you have any good Asian or Latin markets by you? If you are ever down our way (Troy/Rochester area) we have a mega Asian mart that has tons of good tort (and human!) food.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
We used to have a ethnic grocery store right around the corner from us but it closed. It is now an awesome little Mexican take out place though!

I've been giving her a little bit of mazuri, but I've been using it sparingly as a topping. Maybe I'll try giving her a little bit dry tonight to she if she takes it.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
489g. +29g this week.

Slow loss of weight stopped and one heck of a good weight gain!

I would be excited about this much gain from the sully, but is it okay with the red foot? My red foot knowledge still isn't where I feel I am with sulcatas.

I tried the suggestion for a dry mazuri pellet two days in a row and not once touched. Tried something similar that Ive been doing with my sulcata baby. A single moistend mazuri pellet mixed in with some tortoise hay from tortoisesupply.com, but then for the red foot I mix that in nice and good with the greens so she can't really eat around it. It seems to have increased her appetite for the greens and it seems to show with the weight gain.

IMG_8639.jpg

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
477g. -12g this week.

No picture this week. Sorry.

Some days she eats fine, but all too often the last couple of days she eats her fruit/veggie/mushroom and then eats a piece or two of greens and then seems to be done.

She is starting to appear to be my pickiest eater.

I'm not sure if I'm not leaving the food in there long enough or if this is still just being screwed up with the changes.

The tort shed is pretty much done except for electrical. So now I am going to build her a nice big 4×8 table out there. It should be a massive upgrade over her breeder tank.

Hopefully it doesn't just screw with her even more. At least it should be a much quieter environment for her. She will be away from the chaos and noise of the living room.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Our RF is a funny eater as well. He just kind of picks and chooses. Sometimes it will be a few days without food, other times he will eat whatever we put in there and wait in his bowl for more (which we happily supply) Sometimes he does not come out of his hide for long periods of time either, sometimes they just like the warm, dark muddy safety.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I blame the breeder tank. I hate looking at her in that tiny thing. Tort shed is done, but the redfoot part of the enclosure is still in process. She is going to go from 5 Sq Ft to 29. I have to get on that. Then when I am done with the redfoot I think I am going to move Mr T out here too. Then I can start to consider my star for the indoor enclosure.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
542g. +44g this week.

Holy growth Batman! That looks more like typical growth for my sulcata baby. With that she jumped back ahead of him in the weight category this week. I don't know if it made a difference or not but the only change I made was starting to leave her food in for a full hour instead of 30 minutes.IMG_9116.jpg

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
559g. 17g this week.

I moved her to her 4x8 table. That is something like a +600% increase in floor space. I kind of expected her to just hide in her hide and never come out for a bit, but she is extremely active and suddenly extremely friendly. I have some more work to do, and I should have waited, but I felt I was failing her hard by keeping her in the tank I was supposed to be rescuing her from.

IMG_9169.jpg