Gotta collect 'em all!

saginawhxc

Location (City and/or State)
Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Very short intro for those who don't know me. My name is Brandon. I got into tortoises about a year ago and have been in free fall ever since.

We spent three years researching and decided a red foot would be for us. Then we came across a cute little sulcata hatchling.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-mr-t-experience.142264/

We'll in the time since I have picked up the bad habit of taking other people's tortoises that they can't keep anymore. At this point I have three sulcata and one russian. In all of this I have failed to get my hands on my original intended redfoot.

Well yesterday @TerrapinStation hijacked my promise to not add anymore animals till we bought a new house. Those hijinks can be found in this amusing thread.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-in-holly-michigan.147821/

Anyways without further ado here are some pictures of my newest rescue. I will share more info in the future with everyone. Even though I'm decently confident I can do this, it is still my first actual redfoot. So I will be relying on you guys to help me bring awesomeness into this tortoises life.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was going to come at ya for not posting the pic. You got them posted just in time.
She's a little ruff with the pyramiding but a cutie.
Don't forget, these guys need high humidity but are prone to shell rot. Top layers dry while lower layers are moistened. Good luck with her. Glad you got her.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Well I added some water underneath the substrate last night, but not too much. I was afraid of making wet. During feeding today I added a little more water to the substrate. I have a decent three inches of repti bark in there to deal with for now.

I'm going to keep her in the tank for a couple of weeks, but soon I plan a much bigger enclosure.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I don't have a hygrometer to stick in there yet, but I will pick one up this weekend. I will say this though, humidity is much improved.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
It's the water Flint has lead , Saginaw has a bug in it that makes you want more and more torts ! And moving to AZ made it worse !

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Nice! Definitely more pyramiding than it originally looked like, but otherwise great! nothing wrong with a little pinecone.

Our redfoot loves banana, mango, papaya,kiwi, mushroom mazuri and most dark greens. Definitely not a picky eater, and he devours everything.

Most RF I have seen also love a nice, dark humid place to spend some time. not a spotlight hog like african species, and their personalities are definitely different.

Congrats again, and looking forward to seeing this elaborate enclosure you got in the works.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
I use to go skiing in the Saginaw River as a kid. Next time you wonder what is wrong with me just revisit that sentence.

We grew up sledding on a landfill in the winter. Right by a hospital too, so who knows what kind of radioactive medical waste was in there. Probably why the snow melted so fast.........

Taco*mom

She's cutee!! Looks dry but otherwise healthy. Got a name for her? How old do you think she is? Way to go Brandon. Now just pray somebody doesn't give you a craiglist ad with an alligator snapping turtle hatchling in it. :D

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
She certainly looks dry to me too, but she seems alert, active, and curious. A little on the shy side though, but I would be scared if somebody just dropped me into this zoo too.

No name yet. Early on in our households history we got a dog and my girlfriend named her Milk Dud, then we got another dog and my step daughter named him Lincoln, then we got a cat and they looked at me said it was my turn. I looked at the cat and named him Cat. I give them credit, they allowed me to name our cat Cat, but ever since that day I've had my naming privileges revoked. So till they come up with something she is simply referred to as Her.

If someone refers me to such a craigslist ad they will be my new best friend. Actually I learned how to do this in the last thread. I will pay the price of the turtle twice over if somebody shows up on my porch and says they found an alligator snapping turtle hatchling in the street.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You might want to point out that there are far more destructive hobbies and activities.
My wife decided to let me have my animals and my motorcycles as long as they were as "bad as it gets".;)

And yes. A happy Redfoot can be a joy to keep.
Concratulations