Gotta brag....

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadk

10 Year Member!
If I can't brag here, I can't brag anywhere... But these dandilions are nuts (see pics attached). In the past I would have hated them, but I'm loving them more and more. My goats eat them. My rabbits LOVE them. My ducks, geese, and chickens will eat them. My beardie will eat them. My dubia colony loves them. Heck, I bet I could mix them in with a salad and my family would like them.

But of course I share here because my torts LOVE them. Check out the size of these things. I just grabbed 2 handfulls of weeds and ended up with this. 2 days worth of feeding for all my animals (fed this batch to my torts, dubias, beardie, and rabbits).

Those leaves are pushing 30 inches!

OK, so they are just weeds. But simple things like that excite me sometimes - especially when I can make my critters happy and it saves me money :)

My wife saw the pics I took and I had a hard time explaining why I took a pic of weeds. She thinks I'm nuts :p

Attachments

• May09 mff 4698 042.JPG
    May09 mff 4698 042.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 58
  • May09 mff 4698 043.JPG
    May09 mff 4698 043.JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 121

desertsss

5 Year Member
Oh my goodness, my torts would love those. Good job in grabbing them up and feeding them to your animal family. :D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
OK Chad, those are some seriously large dandelions. Where on earth did you pick those. Lucky you. I'd be bragging too.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
chadk said:
My wife saw the pics I took and I had a hard time explaining why I took a pic of weeds. She thinks I'm nuts :p

And what's wrong with being a little nuts? :rolleyes: Those are some great dandelions!

Madortoise

5 Year Member
OMG That's huge! I can relate to being excited about dandelions. I exhausted ones from my backyard so am waiting for seeds to take. I drive through the neighborhood to pick some here and there. I think we should make a bumper sticker "will stop for dandelions."

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Wow Chad!
Those are huge dandelions. Hermy would go crazy if he would be in front of dandies like that :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
But you made a big mistake in pulling them. Next time, bring a sharp knife or scissors with you and cut them about an inch from the soil. That way they will keep growing and you don't kill the plant. A weed's main purpose in life is to go to seed. So if you keep cutting off the plant before it goes to seed, it keep growing new leaves!

Yvonne

chadk

10 Year Member!
Yvonne - I just grab and pull. Usually not getting the root. Dandilions are tricky that way. Even when you think you got the root, just a little left behind is all it takes. After years of wars with them in the yard, I just gave up. Don't like applying weed and feed and fertilizers and such. I just use a mulching mower and cut. If 1/2 my 'lawn' is dandilions and clover, I don't really care.

I have so many dandilions that even if I did pull up the roots every time I harvested a few, you would still never notice a dent in the weed population. I only have 2/3 of an acre, but it runs along a creek and this time of year things are so green and alive. I planted a new garden this year, so I'm hoping it will appreciate the area as well.

I'll have to take a pic of my tort yard that i'm working on. It is about 30ft by 40ft and mostly clover and dandilions. When the dandilions were in bloom, it was a sea of yellow. The kids have a trampoline in that area now, but it is slowly falling apart and when it dies, that whole side yard will be turned into a big tort yard + heated tort shed.

spuds

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Maui, Hawaii
This reminds me of some pics a member had of poop. It's hard to explain to some people why we get excited over things. Us tort lovers get you though. So if you ever feel nuts again, you know where we are.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
spuds said:
This reminds me of some pics a member had of poop. It's hard to explain to some people why we get excited over things. Us tort lovers get you though. So if you ever feel nuts again, you know where we are.

OMG! That might have been me....I got so excited when I saw Pio eat his poop, I had to take a picture and post it. I was going to say the same thing as Yvonne did...not to pull it..just to cut it, but being you have so many...who cares...lol. You are lucky..I had to go around the neighborhood and dig them up and hurry home and replant them in the outside enclosure. Then I pulled a bunch of the white seed puffs and blew them all over the pen.

M

Maggie Cummings

I collect dandelions that size every day here. Right now I have 7 big bags full, I had to pull them because the maintenance guy was going to mow them and I couldn't allow that. So I collected them and my little Russian, Fat Nat, really loves them so much more then Bob does. It's a crack up how much she has come out since I started feeding dandelions to her. She's always been so shy and not eaten very good but since dandelions she's really changed...

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Cheese & Rice,you guys sure are lucky !! I have searched and searched for dandelions everywhere, but nothing :(
This is what I get for living in the desert ! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.