Got warm today

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
But but but... Its a DRY heat.

Still feels like you are walking in an oven, right? It was only 108 here and my desert hawks didn't even care. They weren't panting and ate up all their food like little piggies. Torties have misters and sprinklers, so they are good too.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
But but but... Its a DRY heat.

Still feels like you are walking in an oven, right? It was only 108 here and my desert hawks didn't even care. They weren't panting and ate up all their food like little piggies. Torties have misters and sprinklers, so they are good too.
When I got up this morning it was in the 90's, the humidity was 43%, and the heat index was 110°. It was a great day to stay home! And yes, an oven it is. Or I have described it as "I know how pottery feels when it's put into a kiln".

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
in SoCal! This is low desert living! ?
View attachment 301873

Thats pretty darn hot! Reminds me of my time in Kuwait & Riyadh.....BUT, it’s a dry heat, only 14% humidity!

We had a few thunderstorms roll through Maryland yesterday, dropped our temps from mid-90’s, BUT check out this humidity this morning!

CF870784-7216-4DEB-89D5-3FB9828DE012.jpeg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would never live there. I live without AC here, but then a little over 100 is our high.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thats pretty darn hot! Reminds me of my time in Kuwait & Riyadh.....BUT, it’s a dry heat, only 14% humidity!

We had a few thunderstorms roll through Maryland yesterday, dropped our temps from mid-90’s, BUT check out this humidity this morning!

View attachment 301896
Pssshhhh... Only 96%? You've still got 4% to go!!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
With Global Warming it has gotten hotter here. Big Sam doesn't even come outside until 5pm or so. Yesterday it was a rare 93 degrees. It's just too damn hot for me and my Sulcata. I moved from California where summers regularly were over 100, but I got used to a hot summer in the low 80's. In Oregon, it rains so much you get used to doing outside chores in the rain.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
With Global Warming it has gotten hotter here. Big Sam doesn't even come outside until 5pm or so. Yesterday it was a rare 93 degrees. It's just too damn hot for me and my Sulcata. I moved from California where summers regularly were over 100, but I got used to a hot summer in the low 80's. In Oregon, it rains so much you get used to doing outside chores in the rain.
You know that was a scam, right? "Global warming". The so called scientists reporting that garbage admitted to lying and falsifying info to suit an agenda. Then they waited a few years and re-branded it "Climate Change" and brought the whole farce back. Please don't fall for media lies and propaganda.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You know that was a scam, right? "Global warming". The so called scientists reporting that garbage admitted to lying and falsifying info to suit an agenda. Then they waited a few years and re-branded it "Climate Change" and brought the whole farce back. Please don't fall for media lies and propaganda.
I used to think that too. But I see the ice floes melting and Polar Bears dying as they can't hunt. It's hotter now in the Willamette Valley then it was in 2005 when I moved here. I have always planted Morning Glories in four large planter boxes, then they would grow up the lattice siding of my car port. It was so beautiful people would take pictures of it. It gradually got hotter in that spot, and this year there were few blooms, and none more than inches high, small and dry. I don't watch or read the news. If I do it would be ABC.
Don't bother with any argument, I believe in Global Warming and/or Climate Change, I formed my own opinion based on my personal experience, judgement, vision, and stuff like that. I'm not gonna argue this with you as I do admit that you can substantiate an argument that is indefensible. I'm gonna go out and do my yard work while it's relatively cool. It should be about 55 degrees now, but it is almost 70. I form my own opinions and don't fall for "media lies and propaganda". It has gotten increasingly warmer here since I moved here 15 yrs ago. I spent a lot of years running back and forth across this ustabgreat Nation. I saw the change in Arizona along the Colorado river, the change in the snowpack in the Rockies, and the not so great Mississippi River, not flowing or have the depth it used to be/have. Anyhow Tom, I know you can argue me into the ground, but I'm just saying what I have personally seen and experienced. Gonna go open the tort shed...see ya

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I don't know, but I grew up in the 80's and there was Hairpsray, a friggin lot of Hairspray :eek: Sorry World.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Sun came out, our temps rose, humidity dropped some. 88% humidity is still pretty nasty.! Of course our Sully says bring it on.

For the month ending (July) the Washington DC area had a record 27 days above 90. Just a nasty month for humans, a great month for our Sulcata.

0E20BCD2-555B-41E3-8157-17C3E10CA010.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

Not very far from me is a training facility for Navy Seals and special forces from other countries. The mountain range is exactly like Afghanistan, so it gives a realistic experience for the forces.

The entire mountain range is for military exercises. They come by air from El Centro NAF, and from Yuma's Proving Ground. Pete and I used to love camping near there and listening to bombs, artillery fire, and seeing the white flares they would shoot up.

We'd see helicopters practicing refueling...one helicopter refueling two more simultaneously.

They are good memories. ?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

View attachment 301896
You actually said "but it's a dry heat"? lolololololololololololololololololololololollololololol hahahahaha