Got too Hot? What to Do? Will he Die?

Quixx66

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
For the first time, yesterday, my basking temp shot up to 103F in about 20 minutes after I turned on the lamp. I found Matteo, my 7-month old Hermann’s with his butt in the air, but he didn’t move off the slate. I sprayed him with misting water to cool him off. For some reason he rarely goes to the cool side. He went to lie down. He won’t eat today.

My temps have been harder to control lately since it’s gotten cold. The same position that never caused overheating rapidly does now, quickly rising to 95-100F. Can I put a thermostat on his basking flood lamp? I know people generally just raise and lower them , but the recent overheatings happened so fast.

I just now put him in a carrot soak to some nutrients in him. Did I do irreparable harm with the heat? Do you think I dried him out, and he’ll die? He’s been ignoring his food for two days now.

Thanks.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Is he moving at all?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Wait for an expert, has he started to eat yet?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I would also move the slate out of the basking light. It gets way too hot! I have one in the cooler side of the enclosure, about half way. But my tortoises are a lot older

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Well, I'm no expert, but I don't think 103° is going to kill him when he wasn't under it for very long. It takes a while for the inner core temp to rise and fall.

As for the basking bulb, you could try the next lower wattage.

I wouldn't do carrot soaks. He's only not eaten for one day. Just do his regular warm water soaks, and give him time to feel safe again. His pride may be a bit bruised, too.

Quixx66

Louisiana
Well, I'm no expert, but I don't think 103° is going to kill him when he wasn't under it for very long. It takes a while for the inner core temp to rise and fall.

As for the basking bulb, you could try the next lower wattage.
That’s a relief. The lower wattage is a great idea! Thanks.

Quixx66

Louisiana
I would also move the slate out of the basking light. It gets way too hot! I have one in the cooler side of the enclosure, about half way. But my tortoises are a lot older
I’ll try that thank you!
(I hope this posts. Tech difficulties)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For the first time, yesterday, my basking temp shot up to 103F in about 20 minutes after I turned on the lamp. I found Matteo, my 7-month old Hermann’s with his butt in the air, but he didn’t move off the slate. I sprayed him with misting water to cool him off. For some reason he rarely goes to the cool side. He went to lie down. He won’t eat today.

My temps have been harder to control lately since it’s gotten cold. The same position that never caused overheating rapidly does now, quickly rising to 95-100F. Can I put a thermostat on his basking flood lamp? I know people generally just raise and lower them , but the recent overheatings happened so fast.

I just now put him in a carrot soak to some nutrients in him. Did I do irreparable harm with the heat? Do you think I dried him out, and he’ll die? He’s been ignoring his food for two days now.

Thanks.
103 directly under the basking bulb is fine. 103 in the entire enclosure would be too hot, but still not fatal.

The basking rock SHOULD be directly under the bulb. That is the best way to measure basking temp and allow the tortoise to warm its belly in a safe way. If your basking rock is too hot then your bulb needs to be raised, or you need a lower wattage bulb. Removing the basking rock doesn't make the bulb any cooler on the tortoise's carapace.

Last edited:

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
And I would take Tom's advice, not mine.

Quixx66

Louisiana
103 directly under the basking bulb is fine. 103 in the entire enclosure would be too hot, but still not fatal.

The basking rock SHOULD be directly under the bulb. That is the best way to measure basking temp and allow the tortoise to warm its belly in a safe way. If your basking rock is too hot then your bulb need to be raised, or you need a lower wattage bulb. Removing the basking rock doesn't make the bulb any cooler on the tortoise's carapace.
[/QUOTE I’ll get the lower wattage bulb then.

The basking rock SHOULD be directly under the bulb. That is the best way to measure basking temp and allow the tortoise to warm its belly in a safe way. If your basking rock is too hot then your bulb need to be raised, or you need a lower wattage bulb. Removing the basking rock doesn't make the bulb any cooler on the tortoise's carapace.
Glad to know he’s not done for. I’ll get the lower wattage bulb. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If your slate is too hot then your basking bulb is too close or too high in wattage.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Glad to know he’s not done for. I’ll get the lower wattage bulb. Thank you.
If it only got to 103, you don't need a lower wattage bulb. Just raise it up one inch and re check the temp. Let your digital thermometer sit on the rock under the bulb and bake for an hour. That is how you check your basking temp. That will tell you how hot the tortoises carapace is getting under the bulb. Or at least give a fairly close approximation.

Quixx66

Louisiana
I added a paragraph to that post # 7 in case you didn't see it.
It was a panic reaction, to be honest, to give him a carrot soak because he ignored his food. Good to know he won’t starve in a day! Thanks for reminding to to chill and let him relax and get back to his normal self.

Quixx66

Louisiana
If it only got to 103, you don't need a lower wattage bulb. Just raise it up one inch and re check the temp. Let your digital thermometer sit on the rock under the bulb and bake for an hour. That is how you check your basking temp. That will tell you how hot the tortoises carapace is getting under the bulb. Or at least give a fairly close approximation.
Thanks for telling me how to this this. I’ll get on it right now.