Got my new baby BTS!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I've been a bit absent the last couple days because I got my BTS!

She (of course I don't know, but I feel like she's a she) is one week old today. I've never had a lizard before, so don't have a reference point, but I think she's remarkably tame. With that said, she bit me 3 times today, always while in the process of getting her on my hand. I ignored the bites, and once on me, she was fine. I held her for 8-10 min, staying inside her enclosure for safety.

She's exploring, hiding (started out this morning not able to find her), and drinking. I think I saw her eat a tiny bite of food, but not sure of that.

I do have her on minimal substrate and spartan furnishings til she is fully tame. I don't want to have to chase her.

We've also had our first crisis! She was in her humid hide earlier, and I thought she was trying to dig in there, so I let her be. I checked on her about 2 hours later, and she was laying in her humid hide doorway with her head sticking out. So I tried to get her to come onto my hand. She didn't want to, and I didn't push her, but I felt like something was wrong. Why didn't she back away from me deeper into the hide?

So I gently lift the hide, and OMG!! A piece of duct tape had come loose inside, and both front legs, with all those microscopic toes, were stuck tight on the tape up to the elbows!! And she had been like that for 2 hours!@

Needless to say, I was horrified!...and terrified! I ever so slowly started to pull her free, just knowing I was going to rip at least one toe off her, or tear that thin skin on her legs, or pull a little too hard on her and break a bone.1 Thank God she came loose, she has all her toes, and she's walking normally. I, on the other hand, will take days to recover.

Anyway, here she is, and her divided in half minimalist enclosure. Oh, she still doesn't have a name.

20200626_175439.jpg
20200626_175620.jpg
20200626_173613.jpg

Here you see the duct tape on the hide...it's gone now!
20200627_151208.jpg

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Congrats! What a cutie :) enjoy.. they grow up fast lol i see u got a feisty one. She’lll settle down quickly with handling i promise u ( good to get those bites out Of the way now while they dont hurt.) good luck w ur new baby and keep the updates coming:D

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Congrats! What a cutie :) enjoy.. they grow up fast lol i see u got a feisty one. She’lll settle down quickly with handling i promise u ( good to get those bites out Of the way now while they dont hurt.) good luck w ur new baby and keep the updates coming:D
Thanks! The bites didn't hurt when she grabbed my finger from above and below. But she got me once from each side of a joint...that one hurt. You're right...I can't let her get the idea that biting makes me leave her alone. She's amazingly strong with those jaws!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
try not to grab her over the top .and yes never pull away and leave her be if she bites.. then she will think thats the way to keep u away from her. Handle her a lil everyday and always end with a positive experience ( dont put her back while shes squirming)

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
You have been very busy. I saw your new tortoise and I had to look back to find your lizard. Congrats on both. Enjoy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks great Karen!

Try holding the food plate up to her nose after she calms while holding her, or try holding your hand so her nose is right in front of the food when you are going to set her down after a calm holding session. Mine have always eaten while being held, or I can put them right in front of the food and they will eat while still on my hand flat in the enclosure.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hows the lil one settling in?
She's doing much better! She's still hissy and tries to bite while I'm getting her on my hand, but as soon as I get her she settles down.

At first, I was holding her right in front of her cage. I'm nervous about her darting off me and onto the floor. But she just wanted back in the cage. Well, 3 days ago I took her away from the cage, and what a difference! She looks around and is interested, and doesn't try to get away!

She's eating, though not while on my hand.

Oh...her name is Thistle! :)

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Looks like she’s in her height with her tail sticking out.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Hide. She’s so cute!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
OK, let's play Find Thistle!

Then, what do you do with your lizard while he's out of his cage? What's fun, enriching, entertaining? Thistle would rather be in her cage instead of wanting to be with me. How do I reverse that?View attachment 299161
You can section off a lil area and sit in there with her. Put some treats around for her, some lil tunnels, towels to burrow through. She’ll definitely enjoy exploring... she’ll be climbing up onto u in no time

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
OK, let's play Find Thistle!

Then, what do you do with your lizard while he's out of his cage? What's fun, enriching, entertaining? Thistle would rather be in her cage instead of wanting to be with me. How do I reverse that?
Feed her outside the cage, hold her and carry her around more, sit and watch TV with her, and you might want to try the paper towel method. I'm considering going that way too. Mine never tries to bite, but it does move away when I first reach in to get it out.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can section off a lil area and sit in there with her. Put some treats around for her, some lil tunnels, towels to burrow through. She’ll definitely enjoy exploring... she’ll be climbing up onto u in no time
What do you use for treats? I tried a blueberry, but she ignored it.