Got my FIRST TORTOISE! A few questions

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Got my first tortoise from a rescue after about a month of planning. She’s a Russian tortoise. Female, older (she’s full sized and I mean FULL SIZED—maybe 9” from front to back of shell!) she was apparently kept in a 40g tank with another tort for many years :( she’s liking my setup (it’s about an 8’ by 4’ kiddie pool filled with a few inches of topsoil and cypress).

I’ve had her for less than 24 hours and she’s already eating out of my hand. She’s also met my cat, and they seem to be fond of each other (cat just follows her around and licks her shell haha).

One question. She seems to go under her heat lamp for 15-20 minute intervals a few times a day. Otherwise she’s digging, climbing or on the opposite end of her enclosure. Is this okay that she’s not under the heat lamp a lot? She’s readily eating and is healthy otherwise despite not living in a big enough enclosure for so long. No pyramiding, healthy shell and no respiratory issues. She’s also pretty active. I gave her a soak and let her have her way on the carpet. My house is decently warm even in the winter (the room she’s in is probably 70-72 degrees F). Is she okay not being under the heat lamp most of the time? I thought she’d bask in it for several hours but she seems more curious about her enclosure.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
She’s exploring her new home. After a few days she may start hiding and not eating. Most do this for a few days to almost a month. They don’t like change and tend to sulk when they realize they aren’t going back to their familiar territory. I’d love to see you kiddie pool setup. I’m curious. Also, you’ll need a UVB light if she is inside all winter. The long ones are recommended, especially Arcadia.

I’m looking forward to seeing a pic of her and her new bigger home.

It’s dangerous for her to roam in your home. Be sure she stays in her enclosure.

Last edited:

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I forgot to say anything about your question. She needs to be under the light to digest her food properly. Right now she is so freaked out by a new place, she isn’t doing it as much. I think she will start. Have you checked the temps in her basking spot?

Illinois
Here’s the enclosure! Wood was removed.

The light is a UVB and heat lamp. :)

And I only let her roam a little with supervision.

Once it gets warm here I’m either going to build or buy some sort of outdoor enclosure!

2FCD15A6-E55D-4C39-9F04-40781F282B2F.jpeg

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Here’s the enclosure! Wood was removed.

The light is a UVB and heat lamp. :)

And I only let her roam a little with supervision.

Once it gets warm here I’m either going to build or buy some sort of outdoor enclosure!
I’m sure she is loving her new space! She is very pretty.
Another reason it is recommended to not let them roam inside is because it lets them know their is more space outside of their enclosure, so they will try to get out all the time to get to the new world.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Russians love to dig and climb. I really don’t think a blow up pool is going to last. She also needs 6 to 8 inches of soil to dig in. Please go to our Russian tortoise section and read the care sheets at the top of the page. Make needed changes and come back with any questions. We are here to help you and your tortoise. I have 12 Russians now with four of them being eggs I have hatched. Oh, Welcome to the forum.

Illinois
She does have anough topsoil and mulch to pretty much bury herself completely, which she does when she wants to sleep at night! There’s about 8” max of substrate in there.

The blowup pool was iffy with me too, as I know it may eventually fail when she scratches it—but so far so good. It’s a pretty durable pool (she’s dug around the edges and hasn’t scratched it at all yet). Once April or May comes, I’m going to build her an outdoor enclosure for the summer (that’s safe, with heavy wiring over it so a hawk or raccoon can’t get her!) but the blowup pool is working for now. The bottom doesn’t blow up either—it’s just very thick plastic, so if she digs deep she won’t pop the pool.

Anyways thanks for all your advices, and for this forum. She’s doing real well—is eating readily (even from my hands!) and is currently basking in her bask spot after a big meal of zucchini and greens :)