Got A Group of Red Ackies

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That's great. Once I've settled again, I'd love to get an Emerald Tree or an Ackie. Safe to assume you're planning on breeding?
Yeah. I kind of hope they want to breed. I think that would be pretty cool.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Ackies are awesome ! Much more manageable monitor with the awesome personality

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
OH NO WAY! they are cute looking, but no big lizards ever. I had a friend years ago that worked at the Cleveland Zoo and he had a water monito that he hand raised. Too each there own. No Matter What I know you will give them the best care they require!
I love water monitor always wanted to get one

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Awesome looking & great colors. I don't like to anthropomorphize reptiles but those look like some pretty happy lizards.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Awesome looking & great colors. I don't like to anthropomorphize reptiles but those look like some pretty happy lizards.
I visit there often.. they do tours and let u chill w the adult waters! They’re amazing

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Hey @Tom I should have posted long ago to say thanks for the photos and info on how you set these guys up. We had a few through the rescue that were pulled from a hoarding situation and I was able to use your basic setup as a guideline for getting the rescue group comfortable. They did great and I always appreciate your informative posts with PICS! Ha! I'm a visual learner! ;) hope you are well! Melissa

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey @Tom I should have posted long ago to say thanks for the photos and info on how you set these guys up. We had a few through the rescue that were pulled from a hoarding situation and I was able to use your basic setup as a guideline for getting the rescue group comfortable. They did great and I always appreciate your informative posts with PICS! Ha! I'm a visual learner! ;) hope you are well! Melissa
I just moved them to their permanent home two days ago. 6x3':
IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Nice! I enjoyed the group I had and helped get the skittish devils calmed down a bit before they moved on to their permanent place. I will watch for more updates on yours.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How is their temperament? Do you handle them a lot? Are you supposed to handle them a lot? I’m just curious.
They are more skittish than a large water monitor, but they never try to bite. I pick them up several times a week. Sometimes they just sit in my hand and other times they move.

boxraddict

Florida
Those are honestly too cool! I’ve wanted an ackie pair or group for awhile. They are awesome dwarf monitors!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How are they man? Interactive? Are they the bigger monitors in a smaller package?
One is a little skittish, but the two other will get on my hand and crawl up my arm. I frequently pick them up, hold them for a few seconds and then put them back in their enclosure. They never try to bite, and they are usually not too squirmy either. Very much like other tame species of monitors as far as behavior. If you like monitors, you will love these.

They eat SOOOOOO many roaches. I put about 50-100 adult lateralis in there daily. On days when I skip feeding, I see them rooting around under all the logs and rocks hunting the stray roaches like little velociraptors. Once in a while I will skip feeding for two or three days, and there are no more roaches hiding under the decorations after those stretches.

I give them minced up "meat" two or three times a month, and they seem to like that. Usually mice, rats, quail, or jack rabbit. I skip feeding for a day or two after those heavy meals.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Thats awesome! I love monitors.. especially water monitors. Idk if you've ever heard of new england reptile distributors “nerd”.. they're 20 minutes from my house and have some beautiful croc and waters there. I go there sometimes just to hang out with them..