Got A Group of Red Ackies

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
awesome Tom! I love monitor lizards (never had one) but they seem so smart for reptile. Keep us updated on these three. They look right at home already. Whats the enclosure like? these guys stay fairly small compared to other monitors right?

Kyle

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
awesome Tom! I love monitor lizards (never had one) but they seem so smart for reptile. Keep us updated on these three. They look right at home already. Whats the enclosure like? these guys stay fairly small compared to other monitors right?

Kyle
Yes, these are a dwarf species. They get about 24" counting tail, so pretty small for a monitor lizard.

Here is an over head of the enclosure. You can see all four of them if you look carefully:
IMG_6737.JPG

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Yes, these are a dwarf species. They get about 24" counting tail, so pretty small for a monitor lizard.

Here is an over head of the enclosure. You can see all four of them if you look carefully:
View attachment 251259
Beautiful set up. How old are these ones? they seem young. Love the coloring on them. The one in the upper right is really blended in.

Kyle

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Beautiful set up. How old are these ones? they seem young. Love the coloring on them. The one in the upper right is really blended in.

Kyle
The seller told me they are a few months old. Really looking forward to watching them thrive and grow. I certainly have enough food for them with all my roach colonies.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana

View attachment 251259
I saw the four in your original post/picture, but I then took this pic as a challenge. They blend in very well.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Very cool. i love the one popping his head out of the hole. Do you think that the roaches could live and breed in the enclosure? Then they would have food all the time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very cool. i love the one popping his head out of the hole. Do you think that the roaches could live and breed in the enclosure? Then they would have food all the time.
Roaches can certainly survive and breed in that environment, but I don't think the voracious little lizards will allow them to "live" long enough to breed. :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
They’re super cute! Do a Ackies work well as groups? Would love to own a few eventually.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They’re super cute! Do a Ackies work well as groups? Would love to own a few eventually.
This is my first group, and so far so good. Everything I've found says they do good in groups. Some sites say that if babies grow up together, the largest will develop into a dominant male, and the rest will stay female. Don't know if this is true or not. Time will tell.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
OH NO WAY! they are cute looking, but no big lizards ever. I had a friend years ago that worked at the Cleveland Zoo and he had a water monito that he hand raised. Too each there own. No Matter What I know you will give them the best care they require!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
OH NO WAY! they are cute looking, but no big lizards ever. I had a friend years ago that worked at the Cleveland Zoo and he had a water monito that he hand raised. Too each there own. No Matter What I know you will give them the best care they require!
These are a dwarf monitor. As full grow adults, they are about the length of a blue tongue skink or bearded dragon, but more slender.

I love the water monitors. I've raised a few over the years. I've been looking for a good source for captive bred ones for a while now.

Chasen

Galveston
Hey Tom, A friend of mine is looking for captive bred Abronia. Wondering if you have any leads I can pass on. He lives in Massachusetts. Also, I saw that Backwater is selling them, but I don't know their reputation. Thanx

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey Tom, A friend of mine is looking for captive bred Abronia. Wondering if you have any leads I can pass on. He lives in Massachusetts. Also, I saw that Backwater is selling them, but I don't know their reputation. Thanx
I've seen those at a reptile show, but I know nothing about them. Price tags were $1500-3000 each for little ones when I saw them. I don't have a source for them, but they sure are cool looking.

I wouldn't buy anything from Backwater. Tell your friend to come here and check out the vendor reviews on them.

Chasen

Galveston
I've seen those at a reptile show, but I know nothing about them. Price tags were $1500-3000 each for little ones when I saw them. I don't have a source for them, but they sure are cool looking.

I wouldn't buy anything from Backwater. Tell your friend to come here and check out the vendor reviews on them.

Yeah, they don't appear to be common in the trade, but the price tag I've been seeing online is around the $300-400 range. Thanx for the input. How are your Ackies doing?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah, they don't appear to be common in the trade, but the price tag I've been seeing online is around the $300-400 range. Thanx for the input. How are your Ackies doing?
Oh that is great if they've come down in price. That's usually a sign that they are breeding well and getting more plentiful in captivity.

Akies are doing great. Eating like little piggies and growing slowly but steadily.

Chasen

Galveston
Oh that is great if they've come down in price. That's usually a sign that they are breeding well and getting more plentiful in captivity.

Akies are doing great. Eating like little piggies and growing slowly but steadily.

That's great. Once I've settled again, I'd love to get an Emerald Tree or an Ackie. Safe to assume you're planning on breeding?