Got 2 sulcata babies, 1 got runny nose often help

Richardidn

Location (City and/or State)
JAKARTA UTARA
So I got 2 sulcata babies, poki and poro, live together on 1 enclosure (70x50cm). I managed to get around 80 % humidity and 33° C temp on cool side and around 45° C on basking zone, I try to get lower humidity now since poki always get runny nose almost every month.

I'm so confused on why only poki get runny nose, and poro is fine never got the same problem. I managed to treat poki's runny nose on 3 previous occasion, hopefully there is no problem this time also. But I wonder what can I do to get poki healthier in the future? Is there anything I can give/do to better the immune system or anything to prevent the problem?

Attachments

• 16232160023222562421219695102346.jpg
    16232160023222562421219695102346.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello!
I'm sorry Poki is getting a runny nose, and I might know why this is happening.

I know they are babies, but they need lots of space to walk, and to be able to get away from each other.

Tortoises almost never do well when 2 of them live together. Sometimes 3 or more will get along if they have a very big space to live.

With 2 together, one of them is usually a bully toward the other one. The bully will get the food first, take the best basking spot, sleep at the best place. Actions that we think are cute, like following, sleeping together, laying on each other, etc are all bullying.

The tortoise that is being bullied will often be smaller because he doesn't get as much food, and also because he is under so much stress.

Add to that an enclosure that isn't really big enough for one, much less two, and you end up with a tortoise that gets sick easily.

Is your basking area really 45°C?? That is much too hot! The basking area should be 33-35°C. The cool side should be 27-30°C.

I believe if you separate them in to their own enclosures and get your temps adjusted, Poki will do better.

In case you have not read it, this is the care sheet for sulcatas.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Karen. Specially the basking temp way to high, get adjusted asap and with being in pairs. The runny nose could be due to constant stress.
Also change out the water dish with a low sided clay saucer and bury it so its level with substrate. The one you have is too high sided, too straight of sides and is a flipping and drowning hazard.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Besides being a symptom of respiratory infection, a runny nose also indicates a stressed out tortoise. I think you'll find he greatly improves once you set him up in his own enclosure.

Richardidn

JAKARTA UTARA
Hello!
I'm sorry Poki is getting a runny nose, and I might know why this is happening.

I know they are babies, but they need lots of space to walk, and to be able to get away from each other.

Tortoises almost never do well when 2 of them live together. Sometimes 3 or more will get along if they have a very big space to live.

With 2 together, one of them is usually a bully toward the other one. The bully will get the food first, take the best basking spot, sleep at the best place. Actions that we think are cute, like following, sleeping together, laying on each other, etc are all bullying.

The tortoise that is being bullied will often be smaller because he doesn't get as much food, and also because he is under so much stress.

Add to that an enclosure that isn't really big enough for one, much less two, and you end up with a tortoise that gets sick easily.

Is your basking area really 45°C?? That is much too hot! The basking area should be 33-35°C. The cool side should be 27-30°C.

I believe if you separate them in to their own enclosures and get your temps adjusted, Poki will do better.

In case you have not read it, this is the care sheet for sulcatas.

Aah i see, i actually have tort table and other set of living stored. Poki is the shy one but actually eat more than poro. I'll try to do something about it thank you for the reply !

Thank yous too other members who i didnt get to reply one by one :))

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Aah i see, i actually have tort table and other set of living stored. Poki is the shy one but actually eat more than poro. I'll try to do something about it thank you for the reply !

Thank yous too other members who i didnt get to reply one by one :))
You are welcome! Let us know how it all works out! ?