gopher tortoise project

Status
Not open for further replies.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago IL
Hello everyone ! I am requesting help from fellow tort lovers. I am going to be doing an honors project at my college and it is about gopher tortoise burrow placement and thermoregulation. I will need people who live in gopher tort natural range who are willing to document compass directions on the burrow placement for me. Please let me know if you can help !! Thanks in advance :)

-Stephanie

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
What exactly do you mean? Which direction the entrance of the burrow is facing?

Some members of my herp club and I will be going field herping in gopher tort territory in a couple weeks.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I live near several gopher burrows. The one next to my property faces due SW!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Aw, I wish this had been posted a couple weeks ago. I was recently on a property in Tarpon Springs, FL that had about 24 GT burrows... I seem to remember they were facing any and all directions. The determining factors there on burrow placement and opening seemed to to be based on location of sand mounds that could be dug into, and burrow proximity to vegetation. But, that was just a casual observation. Sorry I can't give you better info.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The ones I noticed in new smyrna beach along the atlantic coastal regions always faceed west to southwest away from the beach.

EKLC

5 Year Member
I live in Gainesville. We have lot's of gophers on Payne's Prairie. Of the threes burrows I know of, two face north, and one faces north west.

Status
Not open for further replies.