Gopher Tortoise for a neighbor

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Last year, I was pleasantly surprised to find that a gopher tortoise had taken up residence just beyond my property. My dogs were quite alarmed at the "moving rock" that was pacing on the other side of my fence. When I discovered the cause for their ruckus, I grabbed my camera and jumped the fence to get a few close-ups.

GopherTort5.jpg

GopherTort3.jpg

GopherTort2.jpg

I went back into the house, and then had the after-thought to get some video footage and rushed back out, but the tortoise had already ventured away from the fence back into the undergrowth. I could still hear him trundling through the vegetation, so I tried to follow him. Alas, he was quicker than I anticipated, but I was successful in locating his retreat.

GopherTort7.jpg

GopherTort6.jpg

I did see him again a few weeks later on the other side of my property. It truly was enjoyable to find an endangered species living so close to me.

However, I have not seen him since, and this past spring, I fear the development of that area has driven him to abandon his burrow. This was around the time my son was born, so regrettably, I did not have much time and energy to fight and preserve the area. Hopefully, the tortoise was able to migrate to safer territories.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for sharing, gopher tortoises are very cool and they build massive burrows...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well now that just makes this that much more awesome....hopefully the beauty made way to a safe secure place...

Status
Not open for further replies.