Gopher Snakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
N2TORTS said:
AWESOME SNAKES!!!! .... Taylor ..... Love the light one ...!

I'm hoping to eventually get a nice Woma like that lighter colored one... I love my dark boy, but I'm a sucker for those bright yellow ones!! Someday...

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Mojo's Mom, you may want to look at Kenyan sand boas. They are small (avg 3 ft), relatively docile and stay hidden most of the time. Not as "hyper" as most colubrid snakes (corns, kings, gophers, etc.) and not as problematic as many ball pythons tend to be.

Another option is the rosy boa. Also small (smaller then the typical ball python), even tempered, and hardy.

Mojo's Mom

5 Year Member
Kansas
Love the woma pictures, Taylor!

Okay, I know this probably isn't in the top fifty beginner snakes list...well maybe in the last twenty or so...anyways:

I think the green tree boa is really pretty. (I hear it boa and python all the time, so I am not sure which, I think there is a species of boa that is really similar to one of a python, yet again another newbie to snake comment :p:D)

We need something to keep this conversation going! So, any info?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Green Tree Boa 1.jpg
    Green Tree Boa 1.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 15

poison

5 Year Member
haha you mean emerald tree boa :p and yes those are by far one of the most beautiful animals in the world

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
That right there would be an Emerald Tree Boa. You're correct that there is a similar species of python--the Green Tree Python (also commonly called Chondro, for future reference)--which seems to be much more commonly kept in captivity than the ETB. Neither are really "beginner" material... Both are highly arboreal and require higher humidity... Both have a reputation for having a nasty attitude, though docile GTPs do exist! (Don't know if there are any docile ETBs, though!) Aaaand that's about all I know for sure about either of them. :p

Here's an example of a Green Tree Python (courtesy of google--not my pic). There are several different localities and, likewise, a wide variety in appearance and coloration.
Haley400.jpg

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
From what I hear, the Aru locality of GTPs are the most docile. And they are more docile during the day....at night, when they are active, watch out!

Status
Not open for further replies.