Goosefoot Adventures

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Well...Goosefoot was on her back this morning...I don't know how long (not too long, because I checked when I woke up) so I watched a couple of minutes, and she wasn't getting anywhere fast with righting herself...so I helped. I also have no idea how she managed to upend herself, unless she was trying to climb the wall and overturned. There was nothing to fall off...

I then fed her...and she was voracious like usual, so the incident didn't affect her appetite.

My lilacs are blooming! Spring is here! Yay! So I put in some flowers for her. I ate a couple first...*bleh* Too bitter for me...

Rue

Canada
I had to get Goosefoot a new log! I was scared she'd get stuck in the old one...I also took the pebbles out of her water dish...and I think a new bigger water dish is needed! She is growing up fast!

I caught her righting herself today too (just the last second)...so at least I know she can flip he self over now...

No other news...except for a stray cow that was trying to squat in our yard...for three days...

She was drinking out of our birdbath...and the horse trough...

20160625_082537.jpg

Last edited:

Rue

Canada
Lots of cows in the neighbourhood...they squeeze under fences, etc. This one was left in the yard to mow the lawn, and the owner accidently left the yard gate open...so she came visiting. Now that I've seen her, I should recognize her if she comes visiting again. The fact that she was a 'yard cow' explains why she was so comfortable hanging out in our yard. Friday night she was on our patio looking in the windows...

Rue

Canada
Her nose is healing nicely...and I just soaked her...measured and weighed her (and she pooped...so that lightened the load! )...91 g and about 9 cm (3.5").

Apparently she is a giant Hermann's. ..:rolleyes:

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
And you didn't post photos. Tsk, tsk.

Rue

Canada
Next photo op! I will post a new picture! :)

Rue

Canada
Goose: Thy name be Radicchio!

If you are what you eat, that would be her choice. It's pretty funny.

And no, she only gets a small piece, and not every day. But it's her go to! :):<3::tort:

Rue

Canada
I went to pick up pet supplies yesterday...mainly skunk deodorizer (my stressor for the weekend...and for however long the odour lingers...:mad:)...

...and the pet store had a Hermann's! This is the first hatchling I've seen in real life, outside of those at the breeder's.

It was very small. Very dull, greenish, flat. It was eating green onion (I think) with relish. It was $699. There was also a redfoot in the neighbouring tank, for only $649. I thought the redfoots were more expensive?

Regardless...those of you who live where tortoises cost (significantly) less...be happy!

It just looked so different from Goosefoot, if I had't been looking at 2 kazillion photos these past few months, I wouldn't even have recognized it as another Hermann's.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Jeebus! I'm going to start smuggling Redfoots into Canada! I've had people pay ME to take their redfoots.

Also, MORE PICTURES!

Reactions: Rue

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Lovely thread, Rue.:)
Goosefoot is beautiful indeed.
(baby Greek tortoise here between 1 and 3 dollars, depending on your haggling ability. )

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Pricy for Toronto standards - Hermann's go for $500 here, red foots maybe 450-500, closer to 600 for cherry heads. We have more local red foot breeders than hermanni, so you can sometimes find a deal for a RF as low as $300 but Hermann's are unlikely to be so cheap.

Rue

Canada
20160822_150303.jpg What do people mostly do with tortoises in Morocco? Pets? Food?

I don't know where I got the notion that Hermanns were less expensive than redfoots?

Today's soak. I got home from work a little early today...it is still cat siesta hour.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
They are toys for children bought in the spring, dead in a couple of weeks but you buy a new one the next year. Used like toy cars or for throwing games.
In the South the larger females are made into banjo like musical instruments or decorative fire bellows.
it is said they sometimes eat them in the Middle Atlas, but I've not seen any evidence of this and personally don't think it's true.
Wealthier and better educated families keep them in the courtyard gardens where they are left to themselves and can survive happily for many many years.

Rue

Canada
You'd think there would be enough animal lovers around to start a bit of a campaign to promote better animal care.

But I suppose it is a bit like it was in N A years ago when they routinely sold newly hatched chicks at Easter. I like chickens...they have more personality than people give them credit for. All those poor chicks deserved better too.

Today was too cold for Goose to have outdoor time but she got a good soak.

This afternoon was spent detangling two horribly dreadlocked horses tails. I have had horses for 25 years and have never seen this before. The farrier said it's not uncommon though.

I had to cut the bottoms off...but hopefully we left enough length to swish away flies. The mosquitoes are brutal at the moment.

This is a picture of one miscreant before the matting formed...tail was fine then. I tidied up his mane while I was at it.

My arm is dead lol. I need Tylenol.

20160525_171709.jpg

Rue

Canada
20160919_135237.jpg I wonder...despite having the lights/heat on and on a timer (12 hours)...how much the intensity/hours of natural light coming in the windows affects the tortoise?

I swear Goosefoot is sleeping more...moving less and also eating less. I will not brumate her until she's older...so I am just watching her behaviour.

And...we have a new baby! I am planning on doing obedience with her. We are already started in puppy classes.

I didn't want another big dog at the moment since I have the AmBull and the Catahoula X...and I didn't want another very small dog...since I have the mini-Dachshund.

So I went for medium...lol: