Goosefoot Adventures

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Didn't have to look far...it was labeled. So much for my new glasses. Lobivia famatimensis cristata. ..but...it looks more like a Crested Monstrose?Lobivia cactus May 16.jpg

...edit. Same thing...2 different Genera names...also Echinopsis...thank heaven for Google...lol...

Sorry for any typos. ..I am on my phone...

Rue

Canada
Now she's tunneling. ..we can hear her but we can't see her.

Temps in the trough range from 92 F to 68 F. Ambient temp is 21 C.

I should pick F or C...lol.

Now I need to get a log and some plants to add some interest...it is a work in progress.

Rue

Canada
Woohoo! Done! Now I can have a little peace of mind...for a year or two at least!

Still under construction. ...

20160521_103218.jpg

In place on front step...

20160521_105505.jpg

Looking in...
20160521_105518.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Yay! If you put river rocks or slate around the pool it will help keep the substrate out. I've all but given up on that, but it works for some.

Reactions: Rue

Rue

Canada
Yes! I need to work on décor! But safety was my priority! :D

Hope it does the trick! The price of 2 x 2s and welded wire has gone up quite a bit from the last time we made a similar cage (for a different purpose)...:rolleyes:

Rue

Canada
It was warm enough to put her out for an hour or so yesterday evening. She's not quite used to the trough, since she's running the perimeter looking for weakness in the barrier, lol.

She also exhibited the first ramming behaviour I've seen her do. Too cute. She was checking to see how tough the trough was...by ramming the side. However, I'll guess that she's not too stressed either since she happily ate a few dandelion leaves.

I left her in there while I went to feed the horses, and when I came back...she had buried herself. No sight of her. It actually took me quite a bit of digging to find her. I'm glad I only put about 2" of substrate in the bottom. Hubby had suggested I put about 6" inches in. If I had listened to him, I'd likely still be digging.

Here's a hay burner, fueling up...

Justice 05 16.jpg

Last edited:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks so much for sharing the wonderful pics of your pets Rue. :<3:

Take good care of them..:D

Rue

Canada
Why thank you! I try my best!

The Amazon is on the left, the Pionus is on the right.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Just found this thread! Pretty awesome! Goosefoot is such cutie! Love the outdoor enclosure framed screen (i need one of those only I'm totally invalid with tools:( ) love your birds and your horse

Rue

Canada
Thanks. I need peace of mind...so we had to build the screen. You could probably make one yourself if you had a helper. We didn't do anything fancy or "correct" - from a carpentry point of view.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Thanks. I need peace of mind...so we had to build the screen. You could probably make one yourself if you had a helper. We didn't do anything fancy or "correct" - from a carpentry point of view.
Well, if you did it with your own hands (and tools)- bravo!!! I've been thinking feverishly of some kind of top protection before I dare leave them unattended for any length of time. Only mine is a "flower bed" incorporated into the back yard, irregularly shaped and quite large...

Rue

Canada
If it's irregular, maybe nail together a frame of smaller pieces of wood and then attach chicken wire over top. Chicken wire is very bendy. It might not look pretty, put it should still work. Or put together a series of frames that hook together.

Rue

Canada
I'm getting soft in my old age...:rolleyes:

I am new to hibiscus (in that I don't like them and never had them before). But nothing is too good for the Goose! So I went to find one.

Came home with two. Couldn't make up my mind which colour I liked better. Not cheap either...$25 each. :eek:

Now I have to figure out how to best keep them alive - so I can eventually use them as food. They don't look drought tolerant...:cool:
20160601_143058.jpg

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
I'm getting soft in my old age...:rolleyes:

I am new to hibiscus (in that I don't like them and never had them before). But nothing is too good for the Goose! So I went to find one.

Came home with two. Couldn't make up my mind which colour I liked better. Not cheap either...$25 each. :eek:

Now I have to figure out how to best keep them alive - so I can eventually use them as food. They don't look drought tolerant...:cool:
View attachment 175783
I was thinking of getting some too. I thought they were gonna be much bigger. They wont fit in my enclosure but might plant in the garden and just feed the leaves as desired. Let me know if Goose enjoys them!