Goosefoot Adventures

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
We ran out of lettuce for breakfast. :rolleyes: Still can't go out and pick weeds.

So I soaked a couple of pellets.

Well...that went over like a lead balloon. She ate a bit...but spent more time frantically wiping it off her face than actually consuming it...

More lettuce coming this afternoon...no tortoises will starve on my watch...fussy or not...:D

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Thanks. Do you know how much UVB would be filtered out by the screen? I can remove it when I'm home and am around to supervise. It has to be in place when we are at work. Cats.

I have the 100 watt PowerSun, since the vivarium is shallow, but I could replace with a 160, if that made any difference to how much UVB output there is?

I also was looking at metal halides...but I'm a little confused still - regarding what is what.

As soon as it's warm enough, I can put her outside (in a safe enclosure) for supervised 'real sun' periods...
It's looking great! If your screen cover is like mine (designed for reptile terraria) with large gauge screen, it should work ok with your UVB lamp.

Reactions: Rue

Rue

Canada
Thanks! That's good to know. :) I really don't want to remove the cover, I already had one near miss with the cats, proof that they're not trustworthy!:eek:

I didn't get the fresh lettuce home until just before dinner. Some little body was so relieved to see green leaves and came running out of her log as soon as she saw them.

I know people question how intelligent tortoises are...and when I'm not being all mooshy about my own pets - I try not to be too anthropomorphic. But I swear she was a little stressed when breakfast didn't materialize...and I'll swear that was pure relief when the greens finally showed up.

Rue

Canada
Well...she definitely recognizes me as something! She had put herself to bed by the time we got home...but woke up when I checked on her...and then came running after my hand again...lol. She let me stroke her shell and head. Feet are still a no-no.

Who knew a pocket-dinosaur could be so personable?

I weighed her yesterday.

She is 4 1/2 months old and 59g.

Rue

Canada
Baby's first weeds! Sounds so funny. :rolleyes:

Not much up yet...but it won't be long until we're overrun.

I gave Goosefoot her first weeds...ragweed seedlings...eagerly eaten! :D

I will still have to supplement, but it's a start!

I have yarrow coming up too (and it's like a weed, so I don't mind pulling it when it strays from its designated flower bed), but for some reason I keep thinking it has issues, even though everything I read says it's safe to eat.

Rue

Canada
It was 22 C today! Almost hot! However, I was working, so I couldn't fully take advantage.

I did pull the first dandelion seedlings and offer them as a treat...and they were eagerly consumed! Baby is not fussy!

I also pulled the old water trough out of the back of the barn...since the old Guinea Pig cage must have made it's way to the landfill, this will have to do. It needs a good scrub...and I will make some sort of top for it. Goosefoot's first outdoor playpen - coming soon! Let's get some 'real' UVB!
Blue water trough.png

Rue

Canada
I was away for a week. With some trepidation I left my younger son in charge...and all is fine! Woohoo! I don't know why I worry, while the kids aren't into animals to the extent I am, they've all grown up with an appreciation of care and doing chores, etc. I think the main difference is that I get hung up a bit too much on details - and they're still a little more carefree.

I did tell him not to soak her (me probably worrying too much that something would go wrong)...and I just gave her a good soak myself, put her back in her cage, and she went right to her food bowl and started eating, so she's no worse off for missing a couple of soaks either.

She doesn't go to the bathroom in the water very often. Wish she did. That would make it easier for me to check her poop and keep the enclosure cleaner. I don't know how everyone sees urine. I have only witnessed her peeing once (and it was a lot! :confused:) - but it disappeared right away into the substrate.

Now that I'm back, I'll get cracking on setting up that blue tub. It's supposed to be a nice warm week and hopefully I can get her out in the real sun for a few hours.

von345

59 grams dang I have had mine since Christmas and he/she is only 30 grams. I can't wait for mine to get that big. I love when people love their torts. Good job

Rue

Canada
Thanks! I hope it's a good sign I'm doing things 'right'.

But she was obviously the biggest of the 3 hatchlings we saw. She was also much more domed...part of the reason why I'm assuming she's a she (until we know for sure). I didn't realize how big she was until just recently...since I've read about several 6 month old Hermanns weighing 20 or 30+g.

I will weigh her again in a couple of weeks...curious now as to much she's growing...lol...

Rue

Canada
Today's Yard Weed:

Shepherd's Purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris): Mustard family. Safe for tortoises in moderation.

Tortoise critique: Yummy!

Rue

Canada
I am working from home this week. I'm actually on vacation from one job...but need to catch up on some contract work...so this truly is a working vacation.

In the Spirit of Tortoise...I ate my first dandelion leaves this morning. *Blech* I needed a piece of chocolate to counter that. Maybe it's an acquired taste?

Goosefoot on the other hand:

Goosefoot eating dandelion 05 16.png

Rue

Canada
Just came back from errands. My main goal was to get some orchid bark and peat moss for the blue trough.

Nada. Couldn't find anything other than tiny overpriced bags of orchid bark - and all seemed to have 'stuff' added!

I'll have to try again. I'll hit the larger Greenhouses/Garden Centers next time. This time I was in the neighbourhood of the smaller ones. If not, I'll have to go back to the pet store...it was cheaper than what I found today (which says a lot).

I did find a nice greyish ceramic/terra cotta? saucer to use as a wading pool though... so I made a bit of progress.

Rue

Canada
Today's weight. 76 g.

How fast are they supposed to grow?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Today's weight. 76 g.

How fast are they supposed to grow?
It varies hugely. At that weight, a poop or a pee can make a massive difference.

Try not to weigh too frequently. Fortnightly at most, monthly is fine. Do it at the same time of day each time for consistency- I like to do it straight after the morning siak.

Rue

Canada
It's been almost a month. It just seemed like quite a gain...and I am not overfeeding.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Wish i could get my fella to put on weight!! Sounds like youre doing a great job! Keep us updated on his adventures!

Rue

Canada
Thanks! I just came in from a 1/2 hour outing. Need to get some real sun time. This is her 2nd outing. She ate a dandelion. ..and a fallen poplar leaf...

Then she went walkabout. I think that might have been a little scary...she looked stressed so I brought her in.

It's amazing how fast she can motor (and how far she can get) over what must be rough terrain from her point of view.

I have peat moss for the blue tub...I just can't find any recommended bark at the garden centers. I might have to go to the pet store tomorrow for a bag of Reptibark...

I told hubby we should buy a wood chipper..we have mostly poplar...we could make our own mulch for the garden and the tortoise...and tidy up the yard at the same time without having to haul to the dump...

But he's seen one too many murder mysteries involving wood chippers.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Tell him you NEED a woodchipper and if he resists tell him you will be rescuing a down on its luck mangy beaver to make wood chips.

Rue

Canada
LOL...that might just do the trick! Anything to stop the arrival of a mangy beaver! :D

Rue

Canada
Work has been busy and time short. But we (and apparently everyone else in the city) made it to the lumber yard and gardening centers today.

Picked up the 2×2s and hardware to make a cover for the blue trough. Hopefully we can do that tomorrow.

I also. ..after some 20 years of keeping an eye out for it...finally found a succulent I was looking for called String of Pearls. Toxic...so no one will be eating it...hopefully it will grow here. For some reason I seem to have issues keeping succulents and cacti alive. Also (together with a few other plants) came home with a new to me cactus...need to look up what kind it is.