Google Map of the TFO membership and tortoise population

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
(Moderator note: Everyone please feel free to add your name to the map. There is a menu right under the search bar. The hand allows you to move the map. there is a pin button next to that. Click on it and it will turn your cursor into a +. Hold that over your location and a screen will pop up asking you to name and then save. You can use the hand to make the map bigger in order to place your pin more accurately. If you think you may mess up the map, just ask someone to help you or do it for you)

Hi,

I don't know if this is something that's been tried, done, or discarded as undesirable, but while enjoying my morning coffee it occurred to me that a Google Map of the people and torts of TFO might be a cool thing.

They're pretty easy to do, and people concerned about their privacy can vague up their location and details exactly as much as they want to ... I put my pin in the sample map quite close to my actual location, but could just as easily have stuck the pin in Keene, which is 8 miles from me, and it would still help to paint a compelling map picture of who and where we are.

I think these sort of map are a cool way to reach out and build community, and also could be useful to people in trouble-shooting tort issues in the region they live, by seeing who else lives nearby (and what torts they keep) and asking them if they are facing the same issues (and if so, how they're dealing with them).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16LQgqxCa_CGYJkVQOeE2tJShqYop1RNk&usp=sharing

Just a thought ....

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. I've sent him an email asking if there's a way to have the Forum program populate the map as new members sign up. Maybe we could start over. Thanks for finding it for us.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi,

I don't know if this is something that's been tried, done, or discarded as undesirable, but while enjoying my morning coffee it occurred to me that a Google Map of the people and torts of TFO might be a cool thing.

They're pretty easy to do, and people concerned about their privacy can vague up their location and details exactly as much as they want to ... I put my pin in the sample map quite close to my actual location, but could just as easily have stuck the pin in Keene, which is 8 miles from me, and it would still help to paint a compelling map picture of who and where we are.

I think these sort of map are a cool way to reach out and build community, and also could be useful to people in trouble-shooting tort issues in the region they live, by seeing who else lives nearby (and what torts they keep) and asking them if they are facing the same issues (and if so, how they're dealing with them).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16LQgqxCa_CGYJkVQOeE2tJShqYop1RNk&usp=sharing

Just a thought ....

Jamie
How does one add oneself to your map, Jamie?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH

I think if you click on it and you have a Google account, you can add a pin ... I just put that one up as an example though ... I don't know if TFO want to use mine or put up one of their own.

Jamie

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
There is a menu right under the search bar. The hand allows you to move the map. there is a pin button next to that. Click on it and it will turn your cursor into a +. Hold that over your location and a screen will pop up asking you to name and then save.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I put my name, a bit about myself, and my tort info in the text box attached to the pin.

I put the pin pretty accurately on my location, but people with privacy concerns could just pick a nearby town or crossroads.

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There is a menu right under the search bar. The hand allows you to move the map. there is a pin button next to that. Click on it and it will turn your cursor into a +. Hold that over your location and a screen will pop up asking you to name and then save.
Sheesh, Mark. How is it you know so much about so much? Thank you. When I first tried to populate my area it asked me for my Google account. I did set up an account a long time ago, and have no idea what my username and password are. So not having to get into the account (your directions) was very nice, thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I added except it's not showing my name on the list but a number 9 lol.
It does show my name when the pin is clicked though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I added except it's not showing my name on the list but a number 9 lol.
It does show my name when the pin is clicked though.
You overtype in your name where #9 is showing on the 'edit'

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
If you zoom in on the map before you add your pin, you can place your pin in a more accurate spot. I moved @Yvonne G and @wellington as they were quite a ways off. I also changed the name on your pin for you, Barb but wasn't sure of location so just put in in the general NW Chicago area.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I love seeing the pins all over the place, and can't wait to see more added as time goes by.

J

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you zoom in on the map before you add your pin, you can place your pin in a more accurate spot. I moved @Yvonne G and @wellington as they were quite a ways off. I also changed the name on your pin for you, Barb but wasn't sure of location so just put in in the general NW Chicago area.
I did enlarge it and it said the cross roads near me, I thought anyway.
I also tried fo find a way to change my name from 9 fo what I had written but I couldn't find an edit. I didn't want to cluster things by doing another one incase I couldn't delete either.
Thanks for fixing it all.
@Yvonne G we can now spread our hard to find/do requests between jaizei and Mark.