Good website hosting sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Maybe you guys can help. I'm looking for a free [or very inexpensive, and affordable] web hosting site. I do a lot of crafting, and want to put some money back in my own pocket..I don't really care if they can provide layouts or not, because I know a bit of HTML to get me started. Another thing, I would love it if my URL could be personalized to my own...I know this goes for most web hosting places out there, but if it could not include a plug back to their original site? [If this is even possible for a free site] For example: Something that isn't "www.mystuff.angelfire.webhost.com" Does this make sense?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Provided links would be much appreciated :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've been totally happy with my free web site, tripod. However, they do have to include their name in your web address.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I knew it would be hard to avoid that. I know of one site, Etsy.com, that is very similar to Ebay but only sells handmade or vintage items. They providea free site too, but it too includes their name in the address..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I believe godaddy.com is a pretty inexspensive site. but you can go there and make the choice yourself.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
sammi said:
I knew it would be hard to avoid that. I know of one site, Etsy.com, that is very similar to Ebay but only sells handmade or vintage items. They providea free site too, but it too includes their name in the address..

I but a lot on Etsy.com. I love that site. I know lots of people who buy crafts on there too.

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
It depends on what you plan to use it for. If you just want to sell some of your handmade crafts, Etsy is perfect. If you want a place to host some photos and some information about you and your crafts, you can sign up for a free blog at places like wordpress.com and blogger.com (where you'll have a url like "myname.blogger.com".) If you want your own domain name with a shopping cart and everything, you'll probably have to shell out some money for a hosting company.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Despite wanting to be my own entity, I think my best start is probably going to be Etsy. Thats all I plan to use it for anyway, is selling crafts. Thanks everyone! I'll let you know when I've got things going, in case any of you want to take a peek =]

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
You can use a free web hosting, but buy your own domain name for a price. You can use use the domain name and then redirect it to the free site, so a visitor can type in the domain name but will be taken to the free site.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I just heard a commercial for intuit websites, they claim it is free for the first 30 days and you can try it out for your business and see if you like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.