good substrate for desert tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drakkina_Fluture

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I am using peat moss at the moment but I'm not too happy with it. If you guys can suggest a good type or mix that would be great. Also is there a type that doesn't need to be changed often by chance? I work nights and try to sleep during the days and for where we have the tank its a 2 person job to move it so something that won't have to be changed all the time would be great too, thanks in advanced.

Abe

5 Year Member
East Borneo
Drakkina_Fluture said:
I am using peat moss at the moment but I'm not too happy with it. If you guys can suggest a good type or mix that would be great. Also is there a type that doesn't need to be changed often by chance? I work nights and try to sleep during the days and for where we have the tank its a 2 person job to move it so something that won't have to be changed all the time would be great too, thanks in advanced.
I personally,love to use a plain dirt covered with spaghnum moss in top layer as my substrate.It can hold about 50-60% moist in my enclosure,besides,you can add any plants on it.
What is it made you not happy with peat moss?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
As close to the earth substrate as possible....dirt mixed with finely processed peat moss is actually a good mix....:D

Drakkina_Fluture

5 Year Member
CA
Mainly the way it gets so dusty when it dries. The reason I stopped the coconut coir was cause of this and this isn't any better lol plus drives me nuts when I just change her water and she goes into it to have it floating in her water already lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How big are these desert tortoises? Is there any way you can set them up outside? That's the absolute best place for tortoises.

Next, don't let it dry out. There's no reason you can't pour some water over the substrate and mix it in, to moisten it all and keep the dust down.

Next, why on earth do you move the whole aquarium when you change the substrate? Just get some sort of scoop and scoop it out of the aquarium into something you can carry outside.

My personal choice is fine grade orchid bark.

Drakkina_Fluture

5 Year Member
CA
At the moment we don't have anything safe to keep her in when outside. There are 2 dogs plus cats around too so I don't want to just leave them outside without keeping her in a safe place. She isn't that big really though.

The tank is inside on an entertainment center to keep the kids from getting to her 24/7 in our room and I scoop it but when I change all the stuff out I have to take the whole tank out to wash it out with water and to put the fresh stuff in.

Status
Not open for further replies.