good pet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

runnerprof801

5 Year Member
I'm considering getting a russian tortoise for a pet.....here is my situation:

1) live in a condo and can't have "traditional pets" (e.g. dogs/cats).

2) would like to have a pet for my son (even though I will be fully responsible 100% of the time)...6 years old

3) want a tortoise that will not get large

4) I have never had a tortoise as a pet (dogs, cats, fish, etc....never a tortoise)

from what I have read......a russian tortoise is not difficult to raise and manage......and I like that they appear to be a herbivore. I have read many articles about enclosures (I'll likely go the plastic 50 gallon route). I like that my son can "play" with him outside of the enclosure.....or just let him walk around.

thoughts for a newbie? how do you "clean up" after a tortoise (yes - I said I was a newbie!).......what do I need to know? Any advice/recommendations are greatly appreciated because I have yet to make a purchase and want to "Get this right".

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi runnerprof801:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Could you please define "play with" regarding your son.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
They are one of the easier tortoises to care for, but no tortoise is really 'easy', of course. Daily soaks, feedings, enclosure maintenance.
The main thing about tortoises is that they are not really pets like cats or dogs or birds, they are wild animals that accommodate to the life they are given. Overall, Russians will make it inside, but seem to really thrive if kept outside at least part of the year. So if you have a balcony, etc., that you can at least partially enclose for real sun exposure, that would be great.
They can walk around, but they do get scared easily, as most big things to them are predators. Once they are comfortable with you, they will tolerate you being near, and even go to you IF there is food :rolleyes:.
However, it is best to let them sort of do their own thing as much as possible.
Sometimes kids get bored with this after a few months, sometimes not.
If you took this on together, knowing that with good care they can live decades, then it can be a good bonding experience.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Welcome to the forum!

Here is an article that I wrote, give it a read and it should help with your questions.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ive-or-Beginner-Tortoise-Owners#axzz1VR1NM3I7

Please understand that tortoises are not like dogs or cats, they are not an animal that can be "played" with. They are small prey animals and they know this. Excessive handling causes sever stress and they will stop eating and can even die. If you want a pet that your son can "play" with, a tortoise is not it.

Allowing a tortoise to walk around the house is also a very bad idea - there is a section about it in my article as well.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
welcome...
Torts are not really the type of pet you Play with.. You watch them and enjoy..
they get lost if left to wander around, can get injured if accidently dropped, and stress out if handled too much.
Some get used to it, others do not.
Build a nice enclosure indoors and on the balcony for sunshine, and allow your son to watch and feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.