Good growth? Weight?

DJ Kirk

Location (City and/or State)
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
My hatchling RF (well almost a year old) went from 5.3oz to 7.4oz in just 2 months
And gained 0.5" in length
Personally, I think that pretty good for 60 days
Just wondering what some of the RF experts here think?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's really hard to go by weight when one's talking about baby tortoises because a large poop, or a big drink of water has quite an impact on the baby's weight.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Gains in growth and weight are good signs.
Just weigh once a month or once every 6 weeks due to fluctuations. And always weigh before a soak.
A tortoise that is active, alert and feels nice and chunky/heavy for its size are good indicators.
So is consistantly and color/smell of poop.

Relic

Here
I'm a fan of the routine weighing of tortoises...weekly, bi-weekly...whatever suits your schedule. The trend is your friend, and several weight decreases in a row might ring a bell of concern, especially with younger torts. It's easier to make wise decisions with more information. Being moderately obsessive/compulsive, I use a spreadsheet to track weekly weight, and then graph the results to see (hopefully) a nice steady upward sloping line.

On the other hand, I also have a spreadsheet with every utility bill (including the gallons of water or kilowatts of electricity used) I've ever paid since I got married in 1976, another clear sign of OCD...