Good diets for Sulcatas

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
I currently feed my 1 and a half year old sulcata around 5 mazuri pellets everyday along with a handful of greens (kale leaves). Is this a good diet? If not what would be a good diet for him/her?

Happytort27

CA
Sulcatas need a lot of variety in their diet. They can’t just live off of 2 main foods. Please take a look at this thread:

Reactions: Tom

AgataP

Seattle, WA
No it is not a good diet. But you have the link. Many weeds, grasses. Kale should a be given sometimes.
If you can grab dandelions, clover, grasses - make sure it is not sprayed with any chemicals. So many options.

Reactions: Tom
Hong Kong
Hi everyone! I went to my local stores and I bought my sulcata dried dandelion leaves, Grassland pellets and Mazuri pellets. I’m also going to go to buy those little pots of grass that you can grow to feed him. Would this diet be better?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone! I went to my local stores and I bought my sulcata dried dandelion leaves, Grassland pellets and Mazuri pellets. I’m also going to go to buy those little pots of grass that you can grow to feed him. Would this diet be better?
All of those are good items to feed. Add in many more good items to the rotation. Find the right weeds and leaves. Get some spineless opuntia pads. Anyone grow hibiscus in Hong Kong? Mulberry trees? Grape vine leaves? What about weeds? Weeds grow everywhere in the world. From the store, how about some occasional endive, escarole, arugula, cilantro, collard greens, etc...?

Do people keep horses in Hong Kong? At the local feed store you can find pellets for feeding horses. Look at the ingredients and get one that is plain blended up hay with no additives. I have one here that is Timothy hay based. Soak a single pellet and mix the wet pieces in with the other foods you are offering. As the tortoise gets larger, you can add more and more pellets.

Hong Kong
Hello! Since Hong Kong is more of a concrete jungle, I have to get most of the foods my tortoise eats in grocery stores :( People here don’t keep horses so there aren’t any shops with horse feeding pellets. However, I will continue to try getting my sulcata a variety of different foods. Thank you for all your advice! I really appreciate it.