Good day fellow tortoise ? peeps

SuZque

Location (City and/or State)
Cape May Court House
I'm new to the forum but not to torts. I stumbled upon this site and liked it right away. Hope everyone is well and staying safe.

Attachments

• 20200613_095605.jpg
    20200613_095605.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Welcome!
From what I can see you have the substrate as Sand? Which shouldn’t be kept, it can impact the tortoise and it doesn’t hold humidity. Which is important for Leopards because they are more likely to pyramid. So if you would increase the humidity to 70-90 it would help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Crushed walnut shells are probably worse than sand. This is a dangerous substrate to use with baby tortoises. Try fine grade fir bark (orchid bark), cypress mulch or coco coir.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Hello and welcome. You will find an amazing amount of information and experts in tortoise and turtle care as well as a few crazy rookies (hi) here. Folks here saved my rescue leopards life. What’s your little cuties name?

SuZque

Cape May Court House
Thank you for the welcome! Hi my rescue baby's name is golf ball. I rescued him about a year ago as an almost dead hatchling. He has live plants and grasses in his enclosure to pick on and it's not all walnut shell it's organic soil with crushed walnut on top. I also just last night rescued a quarter sized common snapping turtle from the road. I didn't mean to offend the tort police with my walnut shells.? Golf ball is definitely doing great and the humidity is about 70 to 80 first thing in the morning, enclosure is fogged up until lights on.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Thank you for the welcome! Hi my rescue baby's name is golf ball. I rescued him about a year ago as an almost dead hatchling. He has live plants and grasses in his enclosure to pick on and it's not all walnut shell it's organic soil with crushed walnut on top. I also just last night rescued a quarter sized common snapping turtle from the road. I didn't mean to offend the tort police with my walnut shells.? Golf ball is definitely doing great and the humidity is about 70 to 80 first thing in the morning, enclosure is fogged up until lights on.
Change the substrate. when you change the substrate make it around 4-5 inches deep, so your tortoise has a choice to burrow itself.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
I don’t think anyone is trying to upset you. We have seen some awful things on this forum and when we see something that worries us (such as the substrate you are using) we tend to say it immediately because we all know how quickly a tortoise can go downhill. Unfortunately we have also found that a lot of tortoises will survive something like an impaction for months only to die slowly later on.. I think we can all agree that we just want our tortoises to thrive and that’s all anyone here will try to help you with. Welcome to the forum. I really hope you choose to look at the care sheets here, as this website and it’s members are some of the most knowledgeable around. ?

SuZque

Cape May Court House
I don’t think anyone is trying to upset you. We have seen some awful things on this forum and when we see something that worries us (such as the substrate you are using) we tend to say it immediately because we all know how quickly a tortoise can go downhill. Unfortunately we have also found that a lot of tortoises will survive something like an impaction for months only to die slowly later on.. I think we can all agree that we just want our tortoises to thrive and that’s all anyone here will try to help you with. Welcome to the forum. I really hope you choose to look at the care sheets here, as this website and it’s members are some of the most knowledgeable around. ?
I have decided to quit this forum not because I am upset. Never said I was. Everything was assumed. I only said hello, hope everyone is well etc. And no it's not sand. No one knows me or how much knowledge I have about all types of animal husbandry. And if the enclosure has all walnut shells. If I soak golf ball in a sink every morning because he likes it and poops anacondas. All assumptions were based upon a picture. Could anyone tell from the pic that I am disabled? Hope everyone stays safe and healthy. SuZque, golf ball and the whole gang out. ;)

Attachments

• 20200617_143510.jpg
    20200617_143510.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20200613_095905.jpg
    20200613_095905.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 20200611_163008.jpg
    20200611_163008.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20200412_104645.jpg
    20200412_104645.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20200219_145747.jpg
    20200219_145747.jpg
    661.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20191230_210459.jpg
    20191230_210459.jpg
    957.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20191222_080518.jpg
    20191222_080518.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 20191220_161746.jpg
    20191220_161746.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
If you see this, all the best. You have a lovely pet family.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I have decided to quit this forum not because I am upset. Never said I was. Everything was assumed. I only said hello, hope everyone is well etc. And no it's not sand. No one knows me or how much knowledge I have about all types of animal husbandry. And if the enclosure has all walnut shells. If I soak golf ball in a sink every morning because he likes it and poops anacondas. All assumptions were based upon a picture. Could anyone tell from the pic that I am disabled? Hope everyone stays safe and healthy. SuZque, golf ball and the whole gang out. ;)
Obviously we wouldn’t tell... we see stuff happens with this type of substrate. There’s a reason we tell you.