Good beginner snakes

KaderTheAnts

So, as some of you may know, my mom had made me give away my green iguana Jarrette but she said I'm allowed to get a snake since we've both always wanted one. I've done my research on how to care for snakes but I never looked up any specific type of snake because I don't know many species. If anyone would be able to tell me what type of snakes make the best pets for beginners I would greatly appreciate it! :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Look up the corn snake and the ball python.

But also find a good forum that will properly educate you on their habitat/housing. As with many animals in the pet trade, there is a distance between surviving and thriving.

Glad to hear you'll research them first. Always better to prepare and then being the animal home ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Reticulated python!

KIDDING!!!

I like the corns and kings best for beginners. So many colors to choose from too. If you want something a little bigger, but not too big, consider a gopher or bull snake too.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I agree with corn snake and ball python.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454197536.375745.jpg
Kidding with that one. It's poisonous!
I agree with Tom here. My all time genus of snake is the "Pituophis" these include the gopher, bull, and pine snakes. They do average 6' as adults but there are smaller ones in the group such as the beautiful cape gopher snake from Mexico. They are a calm snake that does like to do a puffy hiss bluff for defense, but they are adorable legless critters.

KaderTheAnts

So a corn snake would be best for me? If so can anyone tell me how big they get because I have two tanks (one is a 75 gallon breeder and the other is a 40 gallon) and I was wondering which would fit him/her better since I was told a tank to large can cause stress

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So a corn snake would be best for me? If so can anyone tell me how big they get because I have two tanks (one is a 75 gallon breeder and the other is a 40 gallon) and I was wondering which would fit him/her better since I was told a tank to large can cause stress

If you get baby, start him in the 40. When it grows up, move it to the 75.

Too large of a tank will not cause stress to a snake.

VikkiGT4

Telford, Shropshire
In all honesty ANY kind of snake is a good beginner snake as long as you have done your research. Don't just get a snake for the sake of getting one, you want to get one you are interested in otherwise the novelty may wear off. I currently keep 13 snakes, at one time I did have 25 PLUS 30 babies that I'd bred.

You just need to be realistic about the size you can handle. Species like Burms, Retics or Annies get huge, even when kept in captivity. You need to make sure you can handle a possible 15+ foot snake with an attitude. I have 2 extremely placid burms and I had one very aggressive retic. I also have some nippy bitey king snakes who think they are retics lol.

Just do you research and go for what you are interested in and can provide the care and attention for.

Hope this helps :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
True.
I catch a lot of Kings here while out hiking.
Some really are very docile and some just keep the bites coming!:)
Ball pythons stay pretty short, but have the python look. same thing, though, handle the one that you want to buy and make sure it isn't a "biter,"
(THOUGH MOST WILL BITE IF THEY ARE SHEDDING)

VikkiGT4

Telford, Shropshire
They can also be problematic feeders. I have two royals (ball pythons) who are pains in the bum for feeding. They smash anything in front of them for weeks and months then decide they want to fast for a good 3 - 4 months and not eat a thing!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I'm a little late, but if you're still looking, rosy boss are another great one to consider. Sand boas, too, though they spend a lot of time burrowed.
I do agree with the corn snake suggestion. And gopher/bull snakes are wonderful- though some of them are bluffers/grouchy! (Especially true for Bulls, in my limited experience.)

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
i have had ball pythons, Burmese pythons, and i got into Rosy Boas about 2 years ago. Everyone said Rosy boas are docile and easy to handle. Sure, except when they are hungry( and they are always hungry). I have been bitten by my rosy boas probably 4 times in 2 years and i was being careful and had washed my hands prior. I had a baby who refused to eat her entire first winter, and i ended up tube feeding her to keep her alive. then she gained her appetite back, and now, i cannot pick her up without gloves or a hook. She strikes at anything. So i am looking to rehome my rosy boas. NOT a great snake for a beginner IMO. My Burmese pythons were obtained as babies and they NEVER tried to bite me, ever. I feed in separate containers, so no substrate is ingested. I have always done it that way, and my Rosys eat frozen thawed. I won't ever own a burmese bc of what has happened in florida, but Rosys are not my cup of tea, either.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Colleen- I'm sorry to hear your experience with rosies was so poor! I'll admit, my experience is limited, and I have had one of those insatiable rosies like you describe. I have met a few that are absolutely delightful, though, such as the one I have currently. I wish I knew why some are puppies and some want to eat everything!

amcgath04

After doing a lot of research, my 11 year old daughter adopted a ball python from a herpetological society. We have had it for a month and it is the calmest snake. She has it out ALL the time. It so so gentle and "loves" hanging out with her. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464310486.541612.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464310525.484344.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464310550.487641.jpg

amcgath04

Reactions: Rue

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
My vote is for the ball python. Corn snakes seem to be too quick from my experience. They seemed to like to constantly move which can make them a little difficult to hold.
But standard ball pythons are, again in my experience, always a delight. I've never had a problem with ball pythons.
There was a certain spider ball python on the other hand that was just terrible! But that was a special case. An outlier I guess!

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I still wouldn't do that with any snake around the neck though. At least not with any constricting snake.
Well, yeah, snake keepers know that ball pythons are among the most docile snakes and hardly ever bite their owners, unless in shedding mode.

But I read another forum before, a stressed ball python with >1000 gram weight, constricting on an arm of fully grown up male, making him unable to unwrap it until it eased up by itself. Result is a numbed arm for like an hour and imagine it on your neck.