Gomez is finally enjoying his soaks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Before we adopted Gomez, 5, and his sister, Morticia, 3, last month, these two CDTs had never had a soak. Their prior parent was very kind, but was of the 'they don't need a water dish' school. So when I learned here on the forum about the value of giving soaks I was eager to give it a try. Well, Morticia was a fan from day 1, but Gomez seemed really freaked out by water. He tried to scramble out of his bath the second I placed him in, never put his head under to drink and never went to his water dish on his own that I saw.

On the advice of folks here I've kept at it a couple times a week, gently encouraging him to stay in a minute longer each time.

Well in the last couple of days something finally clicked. This morning Gomez was still in his burrow when I placed a steaming bath in the enclosure to cool a bit while I went inside and filled the food dish. When I came out, Gomez had found his way into the bath without me. Maybe I had the water too cool before? Maybe he's just getting used to it? I dunno, but I think he looks pretty happy.
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1368059269.250528.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1368059283.350619.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Great pics! My little girl Jay still to this day thinks water is poison and tries to climb out as soon as I put her in :)

Life is good

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What a huge step! :) :) Plus it will teach you to be sure the water isn't to warm before placing it in the enclosure. ;)

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
Aw the second picture is so cute :) He's all smiling and what not cute. My girl Vodka acts like water is the worst thing. I try not to make it too hot or too cool but she is never happy XD

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks! Soaking day has turned into one of my favorite times of the week cause they act so darn cute in there.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I was! Now that the cold weather has passed, he's back to being uninterested in soaks. Silly tort.

Drakkina_Fluture

5 Year Member
CA
How cute! Tiny likes to sleep during her soaks my fiance and I constantly make sure she is ok cause we get a bit worried when we see her sleeping in the water lol. Adorable and beautiful torts

Status
Not open for further replies.