golden greek? russian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

h2turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello,
I am looking to get a tortoise as my first pet!!! I have heard talk about the differences between a Russian and a golden greek. What is the maximum size each can get..? Overall, does anyone have any opinions of which would be better? I want an active turtle, but also a beautiful one. I love the patterns of the golden greek. Of either species, would a male or female be preferred? I need help!!

Thanks

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I personally prefer Russians because they have SUCH big personalities and will often seek you out! But that said, I haven't had experience with Goldens so I don't know...

Greek shells are definately "prettier" if you're looking for a nice shell.

As for male v female, if you're having just one, you won't find much difference between the two. I should say my females eat more voraciously than my males, but that's about it! LOL!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
I have Greeks, not golden, but mine are Jordanian/Israli-Antakyan
crosses. They have a lovely peachy color to their skin. It has taken me several years just to have them come to me when I talk with them they seem a little harder (personality wise) than Russians. But I have only fostered 1 Russians for a short time. He had a great personality and was friendly and enjoyed having his head and neck rubbed. Something it took a long time to get my Greeks to tolerate, although they seem to enjoy it now. They are around the same size depending on the subspecies of Greek you get. Males are smaller than Females in both species. My Greek is about F-7 inches, M-6 inches. Like any pet the amount of time and effort you put into your relation ship with your animal will grant the amount of rewards. I commend you for doing your research first.
Sites that explain Golden Greeks
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/golden.htm
http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Whatisagolden.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.