going out of town.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Dakota
so i just got a call and have to leave town thursday till sunday im bringin my hatchling with me.....any tips for that ...also im leaving sonne home and my mother inlaw will feed him and turn the light on and off but she wont touch him to soak him or anything.... soo i hope things go ok... does any1 have any tips on travling with a hatchling and leaving instructions with a non tort owner......

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Keep him warm and snugged in so he does not get stressed with all the motion....is there a reason you will not leave this one at home where it is a safe and secure place? Especially since you have someone coming over....but if you take with you...warm and secure would be my suggestion...:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would leave him home.:D Would your mother spray them if she won't touch them for soakings? Also, I am sure she would flip them over should they need it. She wouldn't just let them die:(

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
i am bringing the hatchling b/c she is only comin to my house 2x a day..morning and night and Kraken is more needy than that i find him flipped almost 1x a day...hes coming with me ! sonne i can trust to leave for a cple days as long as i know hes getting fed and his lighting... he has a huge water dish to soak in so im not worried about him...its the lil guy ...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Bring with you some water for home (as some water you may come across may be treated differently or have other problems with it, including taste which may put off a picky animal), his food supply, and get some of those hand heaters just incase.

Now your not going to be gone long enough to really worry about his lights. You could have a large temporary enclosure, but even a fairly small plastic container will work for such a short time. It does not need to be a home away from home, it will be more hassle for you to even try and a few days it won't matter to the tortoise.

When actually traveling in the car, I like to have them on paper towels...easy to clean and nothing to get tossed into eyes. Like I said have the hand warmers handy and some towels or a blanket to wrap around him, if you should break down or be too cool for him.

Remember in the car, that heat coming through a window can be very hot and drafts can be cold. Either buckle him in or have him traveling on the floor where he can't in case of an accident get tossed around or something heavy land on him. Also beware of outside temps and how quickly a car can lose heat or become super hot when sitting for a short time. You may want to have the ability to take him inside like when you eat. Usually you can place his small travel container within a bag or even a shopping bag.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Hmm, a large lunch box should be insulated enough to keep heat from a hand warmer while leaving the lid mostly open. You can also easily carry a lunchbox from place to place since they usually have a long strap. It would also be big enough to put a seat buckle on in case of a wreck. Even a fender-bender could send the tort flying if it's unsecured. Paper towels are a good temp "substrate."

EKLC

5 Year Member
I have a glass candy jar wrapped with insulation and filled with coir. The metal lid has a hole drilled in it where I stick a temperature probe.

It holds heat well, and heats up when someone holds it.

Dagashi

5 Year Member
I would like to see your "transportation unit"! do post up pics (if you can) and your journey with KRaken. :p

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
Dagashi said:
I would like to see your "transportation unit"! do post up pics (if you can) and your journey with KRaken. :p

i will i have almost everything gathered !

Dagashi

5 Year Member
Kvoigt said:
Dagashi said:

i will i have almost everything gathered !

eexx cee leentt :D I can't wait!

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
As for leaving instructions for your mom, i would make a check list of everything she needs to do daily and how.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would leave the the step-in-caretaker the ability to get in here to ask questions if needed. Also leave her the number of your Vet just incase.

Just a question, from what you said does she not like the tortoises or may be not touching them?

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
Jacqui said:
I would leave the the step-in-caretaker the ability to get in here to ask questions if needed. Also leave her the number of your Vet just incase.

Just a question, from what you said does she not like the tortoises or may be not touching them?

shes a cat and dog person...my tort kinds creeps her out but shes the only person i cld have come into my home and do this for me :) she is whilling to make sure his water dish is full and light goes on and off right and i am making all his food ahead of time, im gna bag it up for each day so its easy for her lol she can just dump it in there.. so no she wont touch him...she touched the hatchling lol but not Sonne

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
If you still have the box he was shipped to you in, it may make the perfect travel container. I know you will handle it much more gently then the carrier did getting it to you and he survived that trip. Len

Status
Not open for further replies.